Help mounting motor on a 90 degree transom.

Scubasky

Cadet
I am mounting a 2008 50 mercury onto a 17'X72" boat that has a 90 degree transom angle. When we got this boat there was no motor on it, and no special brackets. The problem is with -5 degree transom wedges installed I am not able to get the motor to trim into the negative zone tucked under the boat for holeshots, and to stop porpusing. With the motor mounted and trimmed all the way in the cavitation plate is parallel to the bottom of the boat. The only way I can run the boat right now is to have ALOT of weight in the front of the boat to keep it from porpusing, which is killing my speed, and not an option if I am alone, or my bow mounted gas tank starts to get low of fuel. Looking around on the internet there are no jackplates that allow height and ANGLE adjustments other than the little small ones for small sailboat motors. Normal transom angles are 12-14 degrees how can I make this 90 degree transom work without having a special bracket made to bolt onto the transom. Thanks

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help mounting motor on a 90 degree transom.

had a homemade rig in like that a few months ago that we mounted an F200 on. finally had to have 3 wedges on each side welded together.
normal transom angles usually run between 12 and 16 degrees.
looked funny but it worked.

Scubasky

Cadet

Yea we used the 5 degree wedge upside down, and kept shimming with pieces of aluminum until the throat of the motor clamp could not hold any more metal at the top part and could not get enough angle on it. Mounting to the transom itself is out of the question. I just need to be directed to a place that has jackplates that adjust height and angle, or plans to make a "wedge" that mounts to the transom to give the right angle, then the motor mounts to it you know. Thanks everyone ahead of time for your time and help

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Why not cut a couple of wedges out of some white oak Once motor,wedges and transom are bolted together it will be as one.Ive seen motors
raised to a point that the bracket lip was 2" above the transom.
You might be able to even give the motor a little bit of setback.
You may have to build in setback so the motor clears the bottom of the transom when tucked.