Winterizing 3L 4Cyl OMC Cobra

Pooksters

Recruit
I am a new boat owner who is wondering how to winterize this engine? Is it worth it to take it to a dealer? The previous owner told me he did it himself and it was quite easy. I also have a friend who does his own and he could show me how but was wondering what you experienced owners think. Any pointers how to do it would be appreciated too...thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Winterizing 3L 4Cyl OMC Cobra

Go up to the adults only (Or DIY) sticky at the top of this forum. I think you will find your answer.

a70eliminator

Captain

The 2 most important things are to drain water from engine block and manifold, the block drains can get plugged up with rust, poke a wire through them, same with the manifold drain. Remove the small hose from the T-stat housing, if you have power steering the cooler should be pitched down so all the water drains out this hose when layed low in the bilge, pull the big lower hose off the waterpump. I personally just leave the hoses lay off.
Now pull the outdrive unit off and bring it in, build a little stand with 2x4's and your done.
Now there's a whole list of other things assosiated with storage and maintanence, What I've given you is the least blow and go treatment, one that would be performed in an emergency it's going to freeze tomorrow scenereo.

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Definitely do it yourself. Like Don said, go to the adults only sticky and read the thread on winterizing. Then go in the thread on service manuals ("OMC Information") and download the manual for your engine and sterndrive, and read the manual's section on winterizing. The first year you do it, figure on spending a good day on it, maybe even a day and a half. You will learn a lot about your boat. Then as little problems crop up, use the manual and the very experienced people on this forum to fix them yourself--you will learn even more about your boat. Then some day when your boat stops running on a lonely lake or river, you will probably be able to fix it yourself on the spot.

Pooksters

Recruit

Thanks for the reply. Can't seem to locate the DIY or adults only section to find my answer. Not only new boat owner but not very handy on computer either :)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

adults only section at the top of the main page

look for the thread titled "adults only"

the do it yourself thread is exactly the same

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

Attachments

• AO-DIY location.jpg