Water coming in over the transom from the motor

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Johnson 15hp motor and I'm having an issue with it (at least I think it's an issue).

When water starts to accumulate in my boat and the stern starts to get weighed down, the outboard starts to trickle water over the transom. It only does it when water accumulates in the stern, and stops when I pump the water out.

Is this normal? Do others have this issue? It happens after about 45minutes of non-stop running (and water was choppy today). in essence, that means I have to stop and pump (by hand) the water out every 45 minutes, which isn't that big a deal. But if someone has any other suggestions, please let me know!

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Water coming in over the transom from the motor

What motor is the boat rated for? Not sure if this is a "johnson/evinrude" question, motor seems irrelavent don't you think?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I have a Johnson 15hp motor and I'm having an issue with it (at least I think it's an issue).

When water starts to accumulate in my boat and the stern starts to get weighed down, the outboard starts to trickle water over the transom. It only does it when water accumulates in the stern, and stops when I pump the water out.

Is this normal? Do others have this issue? It happens after about 45minutes of non-stop running (and water was choppy today). in essence, that means I have to stop and pump (by hand) the water out every 45 minutes, which isn't that big a deal. But if someone has any other suggestions, please let me know!

Whats the boat ?? how low to the waterline is the transom at rest??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

possible you have a long shaft on a short shaft transom. foot too deep in the water, causing back spray up the transom. there should not be any water in the boat.

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Does it still happen in a dry lake bed?
You need to find out where the water is entering the boat to start and go from there....

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the input; i'll answer how I can:

1. I have a johnson motor, and it's the motor I believe I'm having issues with (tilt, maybe? I dunno). that's why I put it in this forum. If it doesn't belong here, please feel free to have the administrator move it. At least the motor that spraying water into the boat is a Johnson and not some other brand!

2. It's a short-shaft; I measured it and I also checked the model number. the foot may be too deep and I will try to raise it up 2-4cm to see if that helps next time I'm out.

3. the boat is rated for a 25hp motor; this is a 15hp motor.

4. the boat is a 14' Sears gamefisher (fiberglass tri-hull tiller). The transom is 15". The waterline on the transom increases as more water sprays into the boat after about an hour of 20-25mph motoring (of course).

5. I asked this question in an attempt to figure out why the water is coming into the boat. ;)

6. The water is entering the boat over the transom between the top of the transom and the motor. It only happens when there is a lot (i.e. 2-3gal) of bilge in the stern.

Hope this helps. I'm buying a bilge pump before I go back out, and I'll raise the foot. Any other suggestions or tips are appreciated!

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Do 4 things for us;

1) Take photos which depict the relationship of the AV plate to the bottom of the boat
2) Measure the height of the transom from the center of the keel to the top of the transom where the motor mounts.
3) Place a straight edge on the keel (tape it flat and secure) of the boat and extend aft to intersect the AV plate and photograph.
4) Photograph the motor as it sits on the transom while you are experiencing this problem. If it is tucked in too far, the bow will plow and water could be shoved fore and over the transom.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I found this on another thread; is this what you want me to do?

AntiventilationPlateStraightEdge-2.jpg

I'll try to do that this evening and send it out to you.

BTW - I assume these are all supposed to be right-angles. I have not tried this yet but I'm almost positive this is going to be the problem

Thanks!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I don't want to be a smart*****, but is there a leak in your boat that is big enough to cause the transom to go that much lower in the water or is all the bilge caused by the spray?
It would be expedient to fix the leak and thereby prevent the problem at its source.
If you buy a bilge pump,get one that automatically kicks in every time the water reaches a certain level.

a70eliminator

Captain

Are you storing your fuel tank forward along with your anchor and other gear, a gallon or two of water doesn't weigh that much. Is this a fiberglass boat with a wooden deck and cored transom, could have extra weight issues with waterlogged flotation foam.

Attachments

• 2438149842_e8aa6da1ac.jpg
    2438149842_e8aa6da1ac.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

It only happens when there is a lot (i.e. 2-3gal) of bilge in the stern.

Does the first 2-3 gallons enter the boat via a leak in the hull? Or is this rain water?
If it's a leak you would be well advised to repair that as a soon as possible before it causes more damage.

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure the boat isn't leaking, at least I'm almost positive.

This is a tri-hull, so it gets beat around a little on choppy water. The water splashes in from the sides (some of which whaps me in the face). Next time I'm out I'm going to try to get a video of all this.

Also, it might be more than 2-3 gallons; I'm just speculating. I know it's not rainwater b/c I drained it before I put in the plug.

The anchor (a rake-style, probably 5lb) is sowed in the front, but the battery and gas tank are in the stern with my 245# self. . . .

My brother, 200#, was sitting in the bow portion of the boat. All-in-all, we were carrying about 600#; the boat is rated for over 750#.

a70eliminator

Captain

ckeck out the new thread,(some pics of my boat) it's a picture of a Sears Gamefisher the guy just bought, is that like the boat we're taling about here?

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

ckeck out the new thread,(some pics of my boat) it's a picture of a Sears Gamefisher the guy just bought, is that like the boat we're taling about here?

here is my boat:

DSC01887.jpg

DSC01886.jpg

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, the motor is a Johnson J15RCTR, which is a short-shaft.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Old gamefishers usually didn't have an inner hull, just one piece all around. I can't tell if yours does or not. If it does, it may be waterloogged. Likewise the floation under the seats may be waterlogged, thus adding weight.

You two big guys should not be going out in a boat that small when it's so choppy that you regularly ship water over the bow or sides, especially since you have a good splashrail on that hull. If you don't know what an overloaded boat looks like, flag down a marine patrol and ask. Water can't read ratnigs plates.
Try filling the boat with water on the trailer and see if it leaks out. Watch the stern corners. But even if that doesn't work, I bet there's a 1/4" hole somewhere from the previous owner removing a rod holder or something, or a leak around the bow eye.
Can you pull your plug when you are running to drain the water? That's better than pumping.
Watch the corners of the transom when you turn. I have the first model Carolina Skiff J-19 with a similar rolled-over splashrail as yours. On a turn, it can funnel water under the stern splashrail and direct it like a fire hose horizontally against the motor, and then into the boat. I made two wooden baffles to turn that spray down and away.

Bottom line, fix the leak. It's not the motor.

PS CARRY A BAILER AT ALL TIMES

catfighter

Petty Officer 1st Class

The turning sharply may be the culprit, actually, now that you said that.

Okay, so I took the boat out again last night, this time with me (245#) and friend of mine (~300#) for a grand-total of close to 550# of person (and no other gear besides tackle).

I ran the motor for about 20 minutes, and then drifted for 2 hours. There was NO water inside the boat; it is 100% watertight (oh, and it is a one-piece hull of about 1/4" fiberglass, not the 2-piece variety).

Therefore, as far as I can tell, two factors caused A LOT OF water to come into the boat:

1. turning sharply several times; water splashed in from the sides, and
2. my AV plate is about 0.5" below the keel; the motor needs raised up about an inch.

These two things will probably solve the problem; I will keep you informed of any other issues (of course).

Thanks for the help and suggestions!