1952 wooden boat

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class
These pictures were taken about a month ago. In the mean time my son is sanding one side of the bottom with a belt sander and I am ripping the fibergass off in big hunks down to the marine plywood. the entire boat on the outside has been fiberglassed and painted. There is a zillion coats of paint on the sides.

My thougt is to continue to peel off the fiberglass, sand it down to the marine plywood and paint it with good marine paint for the bottom and sides.

What do you think?

If peeling the fiberglass off is a good a idea is there a solvent of some kind to help loosen it?

What paint do you recomment for the bottom?

What paint do you recommend for the sides?

Bob

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

ghamby

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1952 wooden boat

I too am in the process of restoring an old woody. The resin will soften with heat. Then it can be lifted with a putty knife. There is no way to make this
easy. Then there's the scraping and sanding. Strippers to breakdown resin
are hard on plywood. Roll and tip with marine epoxy and paint with a good
marine paint.
Please post a pic of the steering wheel, I think I have the same one.
GH

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Any solvent you might try to use could be absorbed into the wood and make it "non-paint compatible"

I would look at some quality interlux paints either in polyurethane or epoxy. Is the boat going to stay on a mooring or at a dock.... that would be the biggest decision maker on the bottom paint...... vs. being a trailered boat.

Bob1944

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great advice on the solvent. We won't use that. It will be a trailered boat.

bob

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

That looks like quite a project!

Removing the old 'glass will be a chore, but if it's even starting to get loose, then it has to come off... Heat will help, but it's going to take a lot of grinding, to...

As it's plywood, you can recover it in 'glass, but use epoxy resin. This will cut way down on maintainence work down the line. Just make sure water doesn't get in :)

-Andrew