Newbie Winter storage advice needed......

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class
Howdy,
So, I need some advice. I got this '86 21' CC I/O Mercruiser that I just picked up. Winter is coming, and I have made a appointment with the local dealer to have the boat winterized. But the question is about storage.

I have a few options, I was planning to have it shrink wrapped, putting it on the side of the house, and call it good. Now I am thinking of getting one of those portable garage things from ShelterLogic, and putting it in there. I looked at indoor storage, but I rather use the funds for parts for the boat.
So, if I put it into the ShelterLogic garage, should I still have it shrink wrapped?

I am willing to pay to have a professional do the winterization and the oil change until I have a chance to understand how to do it right and have the time ( Still have a Fiat motor to rebuild). I am also willing to pay the shop to do the shrinkwrap the boat.

Central Oregon gets snow, and it get get cold, we even can get weeks where it is below zero, so I want to do what I can to protect the boat.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
RG

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Newbie Winter storage advice needed......

assuming your shelter is going to be in good shape which it should be because its new, I would think shrink wrapping it is over kill. besides should you get a warm day in the winter/early spring it might be nice to hop in there and do some work on it without crawling around under shrink wrap

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply,
I have been going through the "facts" part of the forum. and did not see much on storage, but a ton on winterization. Is there something I am missing?

I have doe a search. and see the best is to store indoors.............

I just don't know the advantages of shirk wrap vs portable garage. I do like the idea of being able to work on it!!!!

Thanks,Bob

Y-Guy

Seaman

Bob what's the price difference between the two? If I sitting in your shoes I'd be more inclined to get the garage, as it also shields the trailer & tires from the elements. My 2 cents worth.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

The garages range from $300- $400 once you get all done with it, and I was quoted about $13 per foot for shrink wrap ( $273). Is shrink wrap better in keeping critters out? I don't want a squirrel living in my boat!!!!
Does shrink wrap offer any better protection from the cold or elements than a fabric garage. I know I will have to keep the snow from building up on it, but I have to do that with the hot tub cover too.........

Any advice is greatly appreciated..........
Bob

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

shrinkwrap is very good and get it done and walk away till spring,,If you do shrinkwrapp,,go to the dollar store buy some tin pie plates (3-4) and some moth balls,,put the moth balls in the plates around the boat prior to wrapping=zero critters
,,,and your boat won't stink either
If your careful removing it in the spring you can reuse,,some have said
I haven't tried it yet,,I just rip it off and recycle it

make sure who you get is licensed and insured,,some fly by night guys have melted gunnels and even blown up boats because there clue less about the properties of boats

As far as durability,,,I check on mine and no issues snow stacks then slides off.
I have also seen guys move their boats from up here to florida with the shrink wrap on it,,no worries

RWilson2526

I just don't know the advantages of shirk wrap vs portable garage. I do like the idea of being able to work on it!!!!

Never really considered the critter end of it but the purpose of covering your boat in the winter is to keep it DRY. water rots boats..if its dry you are golden. shrink wrap does not offer any further protection from the cold than anything else....its all about the water...If I had the room on my property I'd have a canvas garage in a heart beat.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

To me, shrink wrap is an unnecessary expense and is not really environmentally friendly.

Shrink wrap also traps moisture, and that means you could open it up next season to find mold. Even a dry boat that's been wrapped will have some condensation inside. If you choose to go with it, hang plenty of small bags of dessiccant inside the boat to absorb the moisture.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, if i cover it inside of a portable garage, add some pest control, I should be good? I guess I will be able to drop the stern drive down during storage.
If I have it shrink wrapped, then the stern is up because it will have to travel on a trailer.

Anyone think I would be better off shrink wrapping it, and then put it into a portable garage?

any advice is greatly appreciated, as I have scheduled to get the boat winterized on Wednesday, and have it scheduled to shrink wrap too, but I guess I can cancel that part.

Thanks,
Bob

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you dont need to deal with it..... just shrink wrap it...

Up in wisconsin, all of the larger boat 30' or more, get shrink wrapped and they last many years.... just put moth balls inside...

I will probably be shrinkwrapping my boat this year as well... Already winterized it.

superpop

I am on my 3rd year of using a 179.00 tarp like garage that I picked up at Costco. it is 10X20 and works great, I can go in the area and work on the boat all year and it stays nice and dry. I have a cover on it now as well but will probably go take that off as I am concerned about critters discovering the nice dark area under the cover. Works great and is cheap storage. I have my boat on a cement pad as well so it stays pretty nice in the tent.

Fiat4Fun

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replies.
I was going to stop by Costco and take a look at their shelters, as others have said they would work fine. I think Sears has a ShelterLogic 10x20 for about $300.

I like the idea of being able to work on the boat during the winter, if the weather allows.

I was going to call a few local marine stores and see what they recommend and make some decision by Wednesday.

Sounds like a few of you have lived without shrink wrapping, and storing outdoors with a cover.

I know if I was going to leave it uncovered, I was going to get in shrink wrapped.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated,
Bob