Evinrude Question

steve2436

Cadet
Hello all.im new here got a question hope someone can help Thanks.
I have a 1995 Ranger boat with a 115 hp Evinrude the alarm sounds constantly from turning key on. book says overheat but engine is cold. any suggestions?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude Question

Check the temp switch/sensor in the cylinder head for being failed closed or wiring for a ground fault. You can easily check the second possibility by disconnecting the connector inside the rubber boot near the sensor; if the horn sounds with thw sensor disconnected, the fault is probably forward of the motor in the wiring or termination.

steve2436

Cadet

alarm sounds with both sensors disconected. put ohm meter on conector going to sensor no continuity. so wiring seems to not be shorted . also purple wire on alam has continuity to ground is that normal?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

No ... purple is switched 12V+ (turned on by ig sw).

steve2436

Cadet

i disconnected battery and checked continuity from groung to purple wire should not have continuity if not what next thanks for your help

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The horn is turned on by completing a ground through the tan wire. The purple wire provides power to the horn so it will sound when the tan wire is grounded through the temp sensor, VRO/OMS pump, or oil tank level sensor. Any of the above components could fail and cause the horn to sound all the time. Also the horn can fail and sound all the time (with the key switch on) or if the tan wire shorts to ground in the harness. To verify that the horn is good, split the control box, remove the tan wire from the horn, turn on the key switch. If the horn sounds, it is bad. If it does not, reconnect the tan wire and disconnect each of the above componets until the horn stops, if the horn stops,then you know which componet failed and turned the horn on. If the horn still does not stop, the wiring harness must be at fault.

steve2436

Cadet

Horn sounds with tan wire disconnected from horn. So it is bad. Thank you so much for your help. When i go ask for horn is there a specific name for it?

steve2436

Cadet

just trying to make sure im testing correctly.
All wiring is hooked back up. when key is on i disconnect tan wire from alarm.
Alarm should NOT be sounding? If it is sounding i have a bad alarm?
Am i understanding this correctly? Thanks again for your help :)

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So you turn the key switch on, horn starts to sound, you disconnect the tan wire from the horn, horn continues to sound. Yes you need to replace the horn.

steve2436

Cadet

Thanks for all your help. Replaced horn today works fine now. Thank you :)

jbjennings

Captain

Now that was some nifty advice on this thread. It's also nice to hear the outcome, as lots of people just fix it and forget about letting the helpers know if they were right or wrong about the problem.
Happy boating,
JBJ