Squeeky leaf springs...

raymo8

Cadet
Lately my trailer has been squeeking the whole way to the ramp and back. I'm pretty sure that it's the springs because the noise gets louder when the boat and trailer bounce. What's the best solution to stop this annoying sound?<br />(Grease, WD-40, Silicon, etc.) Thanks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Squeeky leaf springs...

Options.....Options....hmmmm<br /><br />Earplugs?<br /><br />Purchase a whole new boat and trailer rig?<br /><br />Check to make sure the spring mounts are tight.<br /><br />Spray moly grease or lithium between the spaces in the leaves. You may have to jack up the trailer frame to relieve presssure/tension before greasing and or tightening.<br /><br />Bob ;)

gorilla

Recruit

Read long ago: use a 50/50 mixture of 30 weight oil and paint thinner in a squirt can and it will run into all the tight places.

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

At the end of the season after the boat has been winterized and wrapped, I put blocks under the frame high enough so that the axle hangs down for the winter with no load on the springs. I then do the same thing as gorilla and squirt some motor oil into the spring leaves to protect everything for the winter.<br /><br />If there is a lube that is more friendly to enviroment, that protects and lubes, please let me know.

mike_v2v98

Seaman Apprentice

i had the same squeaky problem on my boat trailer <br />annoying too<br />i tried wd40 motor oil and silicon spray<br />nothing seemed to work that well<br />then i put a small scizzor jack between the frame of the trailor and the lef spring extended the jack and spred the leafs<br />then i coated the leafs with some grees of some sort<br />(environmentally friendly of corse)lol<br />but it hasnt squeaked since

Basenjib123

Seaman

Try using cooking oil, I am serious. It lubricates and protects very well. The best part (To me anyhow) is that the Cooking oil is not harmful to the environment. I take Criso oil, melt it down, then brush in on while its still warm. Just one thing, DO NOT get the stuff that has salt added, it will say it on the can. I've been doing this for many years with good results ;) , Good Luck,,Joe.

jerzyboaters

Cadet

Hello, If it is the rubber bushings spray them with brake fluid will not harm rubber. did this many time on cars and my Jeep

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had this problem and I bought some mono springs from Northen Hydraulic for a fare price I think it was about $40.00 They give you the suport you need and it is only one spring. Nothing to whole water between and rot and they won't squeak.<br />Good luck

C17LoadSmasher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried WD-40, and squirting grease in with a syringe and all that, but I eventually said to hell with it and just let it squeak. It's not so bad any more. It comes and goes I suppose.

araiha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The cooking oil would probably buy you a citation up here for attracting bears...

harveycrew

Cadet

Raymo8,<br />Do am inspection of your leaf springs for rust and possible fracture. I was experienceing the same thing about mid summer/ late fall. I had a broken spring and another was badly rusted. I am in the process now of replacing them all. Hope for the best. :)