Lower carb leaking

zacklanders

Cadet
I just had my engine rebuilt two months ago. The lower carb has been leaking and gas running in the water. The mechanic has rebuilt them now three times and it is still leaking. Looks like its coming out of the lower carb gasket. I don't know what to do He is tired of messing with it. Could it be something else causing this to leak. It drips about every two seconds continuously.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lower carb leaking

You didn't mention what model your engine is, but I would expect that you have a needle and seat problem, not shutting off fuel flow to the carburetor.

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it is a carb with the plastic bowl it could be warped. I'm surprised he sent it out the door like that. Post back with model and year and maybe we can help more.

zacklanders

Cadet

The motor is a 1986 Evinrude 90 hp VRO. I'm surprise He can send it out the door like that also.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as said, warped bowl, float level, or he pinched the gasket, and has been trying to reuse the pinched gasket.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm dealing with the same thing on my 1985 120hp. It has the plastic carbs. I have found 2 of them to be cracked in the bowl chamber assembly where the float valve and seat screw in. I believe this is caused from torquing the needle seat down too tight.

Also, a few of my bowls were a little warped but they weren't leaking at the gaskets. I'd take them off and look real close. I actually rebuilt all 4 of my carbs and didn't see cracks until I took them apart again cause it wasn't running right and fuel was seeping out.

At any rate, if warping or cracking is an issue, you can replace the bowls for about $25 a piece.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Suspect all of the above posted issues.
Bear in mind though that any liquid will find the lowest point to drip from. It may just be running to the lowest carb from elsewhere and dripping from it.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

He's tired of messing with it ay.Are you tired of it leaking,did you tell him so.Thats the unfortunate problem .Sometimes you can be intimiated by idiots that cant fix a problem leaveing you to think somehow its your fault.Again,I agree with the warped bowm or bad gasket or both.This guy should have figured it out.Its real imple too. He could swap the bowl/gasket with another carb,problem follows the part.Duh,he figured it out.Now if that leak was bad enough you could lean that cyl out and blow the eng.The idiot would likely rebuild the motor and send it out with a bad carb AGAIN.I feel for ya Bud.I swear I do.I get REAL pissed when I hear a MECHANIC cant fix a simple thing.Maybe he should bag groceries rather than put people on the water with confidence that they shouldnt have.Sometimes it a loose zip ty.Good luck and I apologize for my anger