Off the road!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I guess it has to happen to us all. I thought my maintanence was OK till two days ago.<br />Towed the trailor with boat down the drive and there's a rumble I hadn't noticed before from one of the wheels.<br />Stripped down (no not me) I soon discovered the bearing had gone past its use by date, no problen I thought I'd just replace it and bobs your uncle!<br />Up to the bearing shop to find my trailor wheels are off a Ford, Mark I Zephyr to be exact. Difficult to get and bloody expensive. I was quoted $250:00 per side!!<br />No way was that going to happen so down to Repco and I bought a full set of stub axles with bearing buddies for $150:00. Now that's better so home to fit them.<br />Took the axle off to have the stubs welded on and discover the axle has rust and the suspension was useless. One of the leafs broke off the springs just taking it off.<br />OK off to Rainbow Trailors down the road and they can make up a new axle, supply single springs rated for 2 ton, and galvanise the lot for $300:00.<br />Now I've learnt a great lesson here. First I have just passed a Warrent of Fittness test (something we have to have by law here to show its safe) and all I was going to do was change the bearings. Its a good thing they were expensive as I wasn't going to go any further with the maintanence. I will be far more inquisitive with my examinations from now on. What if I'd been on the road and lost the lot..... I hate to think.<br />Ross

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Off the road!

Hi Ross - I'm sorry to hear of your trailer problem. You're off the road, but even worse... off the water I suspect :( <br /><br />I always thought the warrant of fitness check would tell us whether our trailers are safe or not, but from your experience, I'd say not. I'd hate to think of what would happen if a boat trailer collapses out on the road... <br /><br />Thanks for sharing this experience, I'll be more careful myself in future...<br /><br />Good old Mark 1 Zephyr - you don't see many of those around these days!

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Indeed I'm off the water mate! <br />I have a big trip planned to Kawau Island for those big moochers next Sunday, (Fathers day).<br />Still it could always be worse, I could have had an accident on the road!<br />And you've got to get another auxilliary motor.<br />By the way I see our friend WAY577 has won a big LOTTO in the US of A. He'd just lost his job and then this win.<br />Thus does the fickle fooba of fate work!!<br />Or is that something different in Redneck speak!<br />Shoafin priest talk maybe!<br />Lets see what Crabbait has to say......<br />Ross

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Ross, The driveway is definatly the best place for a discovery of that nature. I only got 6 months out of my last set of bearings. I suspect the shaft wasn't cleaned and the back seal wasn't doing its job. Had a bearing buddy on one side but not the other and both sides failed. I think WOFS are good idea though, compulsery maitenance. I live on the way to lake Rotoiti and all summer the road has trailers with wheels off parked up for a few hours. Happy Mooching. Mike.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ross - I'm sure the Shoafin priests will have some suggestions on how to fix this curse of bad luck. Strange how our boating problems are all happening ON LAND!! lol<br /><br />I need a change of luck - particularly now I'm without my auxillary motor.... now isn't that going to tempt Mr Murphy ! :eek: <br /><br />Mike - 6 months!! I'm really going to watch those bearings now...<br /><br />So where's a Shoafin priest when you need one...?

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

6 months is a worry. If I thought for one moment that was all I would get then I'd buy a truck with a HiAb and launch the boat that way. I've always used good bearings and changed the oil seal each time. I now have bearing buddies and will let folk know if they make a difference. My brother - like a lot of folk on this board - wouldn't go without these.<br />I have never needed to put the bearings underwater yet, but obviously salt water gets in everywhere.<br />It must be a blessing being amongst the fresh water lakes Mike? I'm heading down that way in a couple of months. Just as soon as I'm recovered from some surgery. It's out of the water for me for a couple of months whilst they tweak things up a bit!!<br />Happy Fathers Day to all the dads out there in En Zed land. May your rods be bent, and the reels screaming........<br />Ross

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Captain K one W one. Yeah six months and they were rumblin again, the astute man at Repco said 'you must be fishing a lot'. Mmmmm wise man. Whenever I can. I have an American float on/off trailer with no rollers, but very low slung. Theres for & againsts with this system.But she's total immersion everytime and thats the problem. No aux, scary you must have confidence in your main motor. Hi Ross. There is no cure for fishing mate you just have to learn to live with the illness. The lakes are fun for a year or two but the sea is the real drawcard for me. I just can't see the point in trout at this stage of my fishing career. Maybe I'll grow into it. The kids do enjoy the lakes safe swimming though. Fathers day, fishing day, thats got a nice ring to it.

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good news, all repaired.<br />This Sunday the snapper better watch out cause I'm on a mission to feed the family. It will be my last trip for a while and I intend it to be successful.<br />Ross

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey Ross - If anyone didn't know what the good old New Zealand flag looks like... they do now ! :D (edit: OOOOPS where's it gone? :eek: )<br /><br />Glad to hear you're back in business...

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi there 62_Kiwi, and Mike.<br />What a blasted week I've been having. Sokmetimes it dosen't matter what I do, it all goes swell. Other times it's as if I'm a leper, nothing wabts to work.<br />Finished the trailor and checked the boat over.<br />Did a full service on the outboard, great. Greased the various parts of the mounting brackets, tilt the motor up and check the level of the trim oil, great. Start up and run the motor prior to the weekend, great. Tilt down the tilt and buggar me if the **** thing dosen't quit!!<br />I think it's the solenoid and will check this today after work (which is 0800hrs for me). Who knows, I might just go fishing this weekend yet.<br />I reckon I could have chatrered a whole ship myself after I've paid for all this lot. Never mind, thats the price for having such a wonderful hobby eh!!<br />Ross

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ross,<br /> I'm not sure what brand or year model your motor is but most of the solenoids have three wires hooked to them, two large wires and one small wire. You can take, let's say a 12 or 14 gauge wire and hook one end to the positive side of your battery and touch the small terminal on the solenoid with the other end of the wire to test the solenoid. if it works, then it's probably a trim switch problem or a wiring problem. (If you can hear the soleniod click then disregard the next sentence). For a wiring problem here get a multimeter, hook it to the small terminal and check for 12V while someone presses the trim switch. <br /><br />If the power trim doesn't respond then take a larger wire and jump across the two main terminals of the soleniod. If the power trim responds then it's the solenoid. If it doesn't respond then it's either a power trim problem or a wiring problem. To make sure take your multi meter and make sure you have 12V on the large wire coming to the soleniod. If you do then check the connections at the power trim or at least verify that you have 12V to the power trim motor when the trim button is pressed. <br /><br />Another thing, make sure your battery is fully charged. A low battery can cause this problem too.<br /><br />Good luck <br /> :)

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you Down South I greatly appreciate your advice. I was going to check just as you said this morning and crawled with my head into the stern battery compartment where the solenoid is housed. <br />My son Mat came running as soon as he heard my expletives, you see one of my wife's beloved cats had been sleeping there unbeknownst to us and over the course of time had used my wireing loom as a scratching post. <br />It is really the most absurd thing you'd ever seen, there was plastic everywhere. The !@#$% cat had had a fielday. Needless to say there was a rushed job done to repair things for the day as we went out today - permanent repairs will be done on Monday. Trim works fine now! Why didn't the cat get a shock?<br />Oh and this evening I've installed a grill over the opening so the !@#$% cat stays away. I just hope he sleeps in my neighbours v8 engine compartment, enough said............<br />Now what about a cat fur hat.........<br />Ross

Capt. Bob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ross J asks<br />
Why didn't the cat get a shock?
12v dc is not enough voltage to shock humans or cats.<br /><br />For 12Volt safety, check out my topic in the boat questions forum.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm glad it all worked out Ross. Have fun on the water.<br /><br /> :)

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well. Cut to the chase Ross, did you get any fish. Did you make Karewa. I'm back in the water after and endless array of boat repairs. Got it all sorted for now. Fished all day at Plate Island and as we were about to up anchor (again) a 4.5 kg snapper spotted the bait and flasher take off as we were winding up and decided it was lunch. He was hooked by my first mate Marcus (8 year old) but he freaked out so I boated it. Next trip we caught nothing (legal). I hate it when that happens. Ross I have a very good recipe for a Cat burley. Do you have an electric mincer or garden shredder?

Ross J

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes Mike we made Kawau Island. What a bueatiful place it is. The water was flat calm and we went as far as Flat Rock. Alas the fish weren't interested. We bought home a few small pannies but the fish we went after were all somewhere else.<br />
Aug31_03.JPG
<br /><br />It's good to hear you're back in the water and fishing again. One of these days I'm comming down your way to try the fresh water and see if trout are like snapper. Heck I've caught trout but not legally and certanly not with a rod and line. You understand it did involve metal spinners of a kind.<br />Ross

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awsome photo is that near Kawau? Fished all day again today to no avail, tried everything exept gelignite. The water is just to cold and all the reefs are empty.What fish we did find wouldn't take baits. Just to well fed with no competition for all the food. Make yourself known if you get to the Bay. Hope the "tweeking" goes well for you. I think we've strayed a bit from the original thread. Mike.