Stop Leak in lower unit?

willp2

Seaman
I have a 200HP Mercury that has water coming into the lower unit. the oil is milky after a few hours out.

I'm planning on pulling the lower unit and replacing all the seals after the fishing season, which is a couple months away and many fishing trips from now.

I?m wondering if it would make any sense to add some transmission stop leak to the lower unit it the meantime to perhaps get the leak to mellow out until I can pull the lower unit.

So anyone have any thoughts, first on if may damage anything and then if I do add it, how long do I leave it in there? Is it safe for a few hours?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Stop Leak in lower unit?

If it's salt water then you better go ahead and replace seals right away. If fresh water then you could just drain and refill with fresh fluid every week or so until fishing season is over and you can replace the seals. I have no experience with the stop leak products for marine applications, but if you are willing to experiment with your lower end, then go for it. I know the Lucas Stop Leak for automotive power steering fluid totally stopped mine from leaking. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

I want to clarify that regarding the Lucas Stop Leak for automotive applications. I was talking about my Buick power steering, not my outboard motor. Good Luck!

willp2

Seaman

Thanks for the input. As you can tell I'm just trying not to loose any fishing time, but I don't want to do that at the expense of my lower unit.

I was planning on having the mechanic do the seals and impeller at the end of the season. How big a job is this? Something I could do myself over a weekend or leave it to the pros?

Thanks,
-Will

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never seen a leak get better, but almost 100% get worse. You are taking a big chance on destroying your lower unit. Lack of proper lubrication can cause the bearings to seize, gears to strip and if bad enough can cause the lower to lock up and destroy the splines in your crankshaft which will mean a new engine.
Sorry to be so doom and gloom but I would never play or take a chance on seals.
It is not a job for the home mechanic as the bearing carrier needs to be removed and to do this takes special tools and knowledge. Not rocket science but there are a lot of tricks for frozen or stubborn parts.

robert graham

Admiral

I believe the trick is having the proper tools and expertise to do the job right without screwing it up. If you can drain and refill your lower unit after each fishing trip then you could use this as a way to "get you through the fishing season" without ruining your foot. I can drain and refill my foot in less than 10 minutes with that little pump from Walmart...very easy job! good Luck!

Jeff_G

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Robert with all due respect, but that is playing Russian Roulette with his gearcase.

j_martin

Admiral

Robert with all due respect, but that is playing Russian Roulette with his gearcase.

Not to mention he should be running high perf lube, which ain't real cheep.

John

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Replacing the seals really shouldn't take that long to do - assuming the unit comes apart easily (no salt issues, etc.). There have to be days when you can't head out - rainy, stormy, etc. Next time you get one of those days, go ahead and fix the problem, then you won't have to worry about it at all.