what is this wire for?

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi, I am a new boater, Where i open the motor cover I can see a wire with one end not connect to anything(picture1). Can someone tell me what is this for and where do i connect it?

second thing is that the form inside the cover is falling apart, can anyone tell me where to get the material to replace it? It is just glue on, I think it is to stop the heat and sound comming from the engine(picture 2 and picture3). Thanks

boat10.jpg

boat08.jpg

boat09.jpg

Llunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what is this wire for?

not for sure about the wire(actually it looks like the ground or neutral wire to your starter-but i am not 100% sure) --but i will tell you about your cowl. This advice comes from a pro who told me about it on my first visit to a marine mechanics shop.

TAKE OUT THE FOAM--it is all starting to deterioate and once it starts coming out in pieces it will get stuck in the carbs and then you will have a real mess.

the foam was made initially as a sound barrier for your motor(but after many years --it will all start to deteriorate and fall off)--you dont need it-- RIP IT OUT before it kills your motor- AND DON'T REPLACE IT...

Just trying to lend some friendly advice as my trusted mechanic told me that would be the first thing to do on your force motor--so you wont have troubles later with your carbs sucking in all that foam.

hope that helps a little

:rolleyes:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take the foam out and don't replace it.
The wire is a ground hook it back up.J

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

That wire is the ground reference for your rectifier ( that black square thing w/4 electrical connections) . Normally it's placed under one of the nuts that holds you starter on. Without it, your charging system for your battery will not work properly.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

That wire is the ground reference for your rectifier ( that black square thing w/4 electrical connections) . Normally it's placed under one of the nuts that holds you starter on. Without it, your charging system for your battery will not work properly.

HI pnwboat, I have can you look at this picture and tell me where to connect it to? 1 or 2? it seem like this is the ony two location i can hook up the cable. Thanks
boat12.jpg

Robert D

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ground it to the bolt just below the terminal block. Actually, sort of below and behind it. The block is threaded for it...the bolt might be missing.

The insulation....clean it out and leave it out. It'll get sucked into the carbs and destroy your engine.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ground it to the bolt just below the terminal block. Actually, sort of below and behind it. The block is threaded for it...the bolt might be missing.

The insulation....clean it out and leave it out. It'll get sucked into the carbs and destroy your engine.

can you be more detail... what is the terminal block?spot 1 or spot 2? or close to which one. I am a newbie.....

I already take out the insulation like you guys suggest. Thanks

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Starter bolt #1 is where it is normally connected. As long as it is connected to the block or "ground" you should be fine. Just make sure there isn't any paint that would prevent making a good ground connection.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starter bolt #1 is where it is normally connected. As long as it is connected to the block or "ground" you should be fine. Just make sure there isn't any paint that would prevent making a good ground connection.

ok, connected, I use a meter to test for connection it is a good ground. However, i do a question. now the charging to the battery is complete. I wonder will i exprience the "high voltage" charging problem mention in the forums. I also wonder would that be the reason the previous owner remove it? Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You shouldn't have any problems.Just watch the voltmeter and make sure it doesn't go below the 12 volts.If it does then it's not charging.
It doesn't charge good at an idle.He probably removed it to change or clean the starter.J

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

You shouldn't have any problems.Just watch the voltmeter and make sure it doesn't go below the 12 volts.If it does then it's not charging.
It doesn't charge good at an idle.He probably removed it to change or clean the starter.J

Thanks, another problem solve by helpful members of this forums. Thanks again.