1965 33hp evinrude ski-twin starting problems

bipbmwm3

Cadet
My friend and i bought this motor and are have been trying to get it running for this weekend. We have replaced the fuel pump, the fuel lines, and have rebuilt the carb. We tried to fire it up and it just wont get started. We checked and it is getting spark. It seems to be getting good compression. We squirted in a little starting fluid and it sputtered and kicked out a little sand. We have also replaced the impeller and lower o ring and seals(just for info). I dont know how the kill switch works, or if this could cause the problem. please help!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1965 33hp evinrude ski-twin starting problems

Verify good spark and compression. To verify good spark you will need a proper spark tester. How did you test it?

bipbmwm3

Cadet

did not have a spark tester but it had a strog blue spark. The compression was 70 in one and about 65 in the other. where can you get a spark tester?

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

any auto parts store for about $8. Get the one that has the screw in thing that allows you to measure the spark gap. You should get a big blue spark at 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.

I am concerned about your comment that it spit sand out. that doesn't sound good. Do you have it in a barrel or on the water? The water level needs to cover the pump about half way up the leg.

The kill switch would eliminate spark all together if it was the problem. Also, never use starting fluid. It washes all the lubrication out of the motor.

After rebuilding the carb, what initial setting did you use?

asdasc

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is it electric start or pull start? That compression seems a little low, but depending how you turned it over and other things, it is probably ok to at least start. It may not have much power, but we won't know until you get it running.

bipbmwm3

Cadet

It is a long shaft and we had it in water about 3/4 up ths shaft. This is my first outbord motor so i dont know much about tunning. It has an electric start and a pull start. if you could give me some tips on the tuning I would appreciate it?

We had a mechanic rebuild the carb. I am not a mechanic but can do a lot.

We just bought it last month and it had been sitting for one year. We put new fuel lines and spark plugs in also OMC.

moonfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Explain the sand deal.

If you have some junk or rust in the gas tank, deteriorating fuel lines, a carb cleaning is instantly undone. In my experience, any place air can get into the fuel system like the fiber washers around adjsutment screws can make a motor start real hard and idle bad.

Maybe you could explain your start procedure, you need to prime, choke & turn to fast idle.

Are you using the electric start, etc.

bipbmwm3

Cadet

The sand just spit out of the carb. the motor was used for duck hunting and i am guessing that the previous owner dropped it in the swamp. We cleaned the gas can out changed all the fuel lines, bought a new fuel pump, and rebuilt the carb. before attempting to start. So i am guessing the sand (light dusty sand) came out of the motor. I just noticed today that there is a spring that had popped off the carb. So we are going to fix that and hopefully it will kick over.

The starting procedure is pumping the bulb, squirting a little mix gas in the carb pulling full choke then easing it back because we dont want it to flood. We have pulled the spark and it seems like it is not getting sufficient fuel because the spark plug is still dry. I hope that spring will fix the problem.