How Much Slop Is Too Much

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice
Finished all the issues with the boat (1961 15' Stamas runabout) and just recarpeted it. Turned my attention to the trailer this past week. Replaced the bearings. One side completely shot (literally in pieces) and grease cooked. Don't know how it made it home. Decided to do both sides to be safe. The "good side put back together no issues no noticeable "in and out" play. The shot side went back together nice. I noticed the previous owner had two (instead of one) washers in front of the nut that the cotter pin holds in. I bought the preassure grease fittings hammered them on and filled it with grease, neat little things. Once done I noticed about one eigth to one quarter inch "in and out" play once the wheel was on. Is this bad? And if I need to pull it how do I get that nifty little grease cap off. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My "free" boat is adding up, but still doesn't come close to all I have learned taking on this project. Well worth it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: How Much Slop Is Too Much

You have way too much bearing play. .005 (that's five one thousandths) of an inch free play is all that's allowed. In other words, grabbing a wheel at the top and bottom and tipping it in and out you should barely detect any movement. More than that it's too loose. No free play at all and its too tight.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

...just a hunch but I believe those extra bearing washers are an indication of an undersized spindle resultant from a spun bearing(s).
Remove the bearings and check for a sliding fit of the bearing cones on the spindle. I believe you will find that the outer bearing has previously spun on the spindle and reduced its diameter thus rendering the spindle useless.
FWIW....Ed in 'ol Virginny

WIMUSKY

Staff member

You have way too much bearing play. .005 (that's five one thousandths) of an inch free play is all that's allowed. In other words, grabbing a wheel at the top and bottom and tipping it in and out you should barely detect any movement. More than that it's too loose. No free play at all and its too tight.

Exactly.......:)

thunnus69

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. How do I remove the neat grease fitting/caps I installed without damaging them. And if the spindle is worn am I looking at buying a new spindle or can it be fixed? Are these difficult to install. What's my best option, I am almost sure now given the condition of the bearing I replaced that the spindle is damaged.
Thanks again for all the advise.

jal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If they are bearing buddies, get a short piece of 2 x 4 and a hammer and start tapping them around the outside. Do not wack. They will come off.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep, place the 2X4 on one side of the cap/buddy and tap it forward. Repeat on the other side until they work loose. If the spindle is really thrashed, you might consider simply replacing the entire hub...they aren't real pricey.