carbs completely rebuilt still won't start

gberry420

Cadet
I have a 93 evinrude 120 v4 model#ve120tletf. I have had trouble with engine dying when shifter is engaged. I was told to rebuild carbs. so I completely rebuilt. Now the motor turns over but wont start. The bulb is firm and carb. needle is seating properly. Plugs are firing fast and blue. Compression checked at 120 to 125 for all 4 cylinders. It started before the rebuild but now wont start when cranked. Hard times have hit or I would take it to a shop, I just don't have the $. Would someone out there be willing to help me?

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: carbs completely rebuilt still won't start

Did you choke your motor as your cranking her over for the first part of the day? What is your starting procedures and is this a new to you outboard?
If your getting spark to the spark plugs, good compression, and fuel that outboard should crank right up for you. Maybe, like I said, you need to choke it or you have the choke solenoid hooked up wrong or something to the effect causing it not to crank for you is she even trying to try to start up/fire off for you?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Spray some mixed fuel into the carbs and try firing it up, same as choking, that will tell you.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Check your spark plugs, are they wet or dry? If dry squirt some fuel mixture into carbs and see if it will fire.

gberry420

Cadet

Thank you all for your replies! The boat has been mine for 5yrs. The procedure is the same as usual: I squeeze the bulb, Push in the key to choke and slightly push the hot foot for gas. I will the spray into the carbs. My question is how do you do that. Do spray one at a time or try to spray all four? Thanks again!

gberry420

Cadet

Oh yea Daviet they are somewhat wet, but they have been the boat once so I don't know exactly how wet. I don't think they are as wet as normal though.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Spray in all of them

gberry420

Cadet

Do you spray as your turning it over or prior to cranking? How do you do it?

gberry420

Cadet

That was it! I manually overrode the primer solenoid and she hit. Traced wiring and there it was purple wire disconnected. Thanks so much for your help. I am learning so much from this forum. Now I can take her to the water and see if the carb rebuild went well. Again you guys ROCK!!!!!