nineteen, 165hp L6 drain plug removal?

ziggy

Admiral
so has anyone removed their oil drain plug from a nineteen w/ the 165hp L6 engine in it? mine leaks and just looking at it, it looks like the drain plug don't have enough clearance from the inner liner to be removed so i can put a new seal on it w/o lifting the ft. of the engine. anyone with some insight for me?

GilliganBoat

Cadet
Re: nineteen, 165hp L6 drain plug removal?

maybe you could try getting a rubber gasket and stretching it around/over the plug to get it where you need it....or.....maybe cut the proper gasket in order to get it around the plug, then cinch down nice and snug to get a good seal???? just some ideas. good luck, keep us posted.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the ideas gb. i'd thought of the slice the seal and install idea and rejected it because my guess is that the fluid will find it's way to the slice and wick right past it resulting in still leaking.
the stretch a seal idea might be something to consider though. however my general notion is to do it right the first time, with the proper seal. i will let the board know what happens when i get that far...

fwiw. cool name man. gilligans island just happens to be my favorite tv show. i still watch it often on dvd..

ziggy

Admiral

nope, i couldn't get the engine oil drain plug removed. not enough clearance. had to raise the ft. of the engine 3 full turns up on the adj. nut for the alignment... put it back where i found it. will still do a alignment to see where i'm at...