Johnson spark tests

zadodja

Cadet
I am working on 1988 Johnson 20hp. There is no spark. I have disconnected the blakc and yellow wire to eliminate the kill circuit from being the cause. I have a fluke multi-meter and I am trying to see if I have 500 ohms from the brown wire to ground as recomended to test the stator.
I set the meter to measure ohms then I put one end in the brown wire of the power pack connector and the other end to ground but I no ohms at all.
Am I doing something wrong of is this what I would see if the stator was shot ?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Johnson spark tests

I don't have a manual in front of me, but I would think that if you had no reading at all it would indicate that the circut is open and would not pass any voltage.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I am working on 1988 Johnson 20hp. There is no spark. I have disconnected the blakc and yellow wire to eliminate the kill circuit from being the cause. I have a fluke multi-meter and I am trying to see if I have 500 ohms from the brown wire to ground as recomended to test the stator.
I set the meter to measure ohms then I put one end in the brown wire of the power pack connector and the other end to ground but I no ohms at all.
Am I doing something wrong of is this what I would see if the stator was shot ?

Where are you getting your information? There should be no connection between the brown stator lead and ground. That would be infinity or O/L or however your meter indicates no connection. There should be an ohms reading between the brown and brown/yellow stator leads, but I'm not sure how much (maybe 500???)

jasper60103

Commander

also, verify you're measuring from a good ground point.
Take your meter and measure between the ground point you selected and another ground point. It should be close to 0 ohms.

zadodja

Cadet

Been getting my information from threads on these forums. Read that I should get a reading of 500 ohms between the brown wire and ground. Stator test.
I have ordered a manual ( CD ) and a flywheel puller.
I am going to pull the fly wheel as soon as my puller arrives and see if there is anything obvious. ( Broken wire/ sheered drift key etc...)
Thanks for the replies, I am learning a great deal. The problem with electrical issues is that most of the time I cant return parts so I am trying to be as sure as possible of what the issue is before I get stuck with a big bill.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It is awfully hard to troubleshoot electrical problems even with a manual. There are a lot of electrical connections and components to deal with. Without a manual for direction you can get lost real easy.

I would go through the electrical system and check all electrical connections,especially the grounds, and make sure the wiring is in good shape.

I see you have a CD manual on order, might I suggest a factory manual which will include a troubleshooting section, and will ansewer a lot of questions.

Dave Jarvis

Cadet

Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone. I beleive I have tested everything down to the power pack. I know this is a stretch but is there anyone out there that might have one of these and is willing to take a chance ? I would like to swap this out to make absolutely sure it is the problem before I spend $75, or $100.
The part number is 583167, If you have one I would pay for shipping and if turns out that this is the problem I would pay to keep it. Any other ideas I;m all ears. Thanks again.....

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Maybe you could try a salvage yard, they are usually cheaper.

Dave Jarvis

Cadet

I am checking salvage yards , ebay and other possible avenues. I was wondering.....
I see multiple listing from different manufacturers, are these all the same?
Is a CDI the same as a sierra or a mallory ?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If you are asking if they all carry the exact same manufacturer and just put thier name on it, I would say no. If you order by model and serial number you will get the correct one for your engine.

I would not not hesitate to use any of those manufacturers.

Dave Jarvis

Cadet

Thanks I'm still waiting for a flywheel puller and the correct inline spark testors but all the tests I have been able to perform check out. I think I may have to bite the bullet and buy one of these power packs. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm a little nercvous because of all the threads with no real solutions other than replace everything or a bad kill circuit.
This is an awesome site, I can get information on just about everything from fixing old outboards to restoring a 73 slickcraft. Thanks for everything I hope I have something to add rather than just asking questions but your information is very much appreciated.
The next post will either have a smiley face or another question. I'll check back next week some time

Dave Jarvis

Cadet

Last update, I put a new power pack in and it fired right up !!!
Have a great day thanks fo rall the replies. I just had four more outboards dropped off. I guess I;m doing okay repairing these with all your help.....