CD player squeeling

lightwood38

Seaman
Gday everyone, I have just installed a new CD player and marine radio in my project boat and when you push the button on the radio mike to talk the CD player screams out of the speakers. It's ear piercing no matter what the volume on the CD player.

Is there any way to fix this?

cheers

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: CD player squeeling

It sounds like some of the marine radio signal is getting into the radio via the power wires or directly into the speakers via the speaker wires.

Make sure the wires are as far away from the marine radio as possible, and form the marine radio antenna coax cable. If that doesn't work, wrap the CD power wires through a ferrite bead/core a couple times. If that doesn't solve the problem, then wrap the speaker wires each through a separate ferrite bead/core.

Consult Radio Shack or other electronics parts store if they still exist for the ferrite beads/cores. Also consider finding a local Ham (Amateur Radio Operator) that can help you.

lightwood38

Seaman

Thanks for that, I have no choice where the leads run as all the electrics are is the one spot. I was hoping there would be some device i could wire in to fix it. I will chech out the radio parts store.

cheers

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need to determine how the VHF radio is radiating into the CD player. Its either coming through the power or through the air. First thing I would do is to isolate the power of the two units by having one of them supplied by a separate battery. This is just a test. I am not saying you will have to run for a seperate battery :)

If this solves the problem, you may want to isolate the power feeds so that they both feed directly from the battery through a separate fuse. I always run my power to sensitive electronics through a twisted pair power/ground. The easiest way to make this is to chuck two wries into a drill and have a helper hold the two wires on the other end. Operate the drill until you have the desired twist.

If separating the power is not the problem, it is going to be tougher and you may have to relocate the CD player or get a player that is less susceptible to radiated signals.

One final question, are you running an amplifier? This will also need to be separated from the power as previously discussed.

lightwood38

Seaman

Cheers mate, no amp just a plain old cd player, Relocation is out of the question so I will try running it to a seperate power sorce.

cheers

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It may not be the power source that is the problem. That is why you run a simple test with a seperate battery first before you go through all the trouble of relocating the power feed.