MotorGuide 748 Mounting Bracket ??

engine95

Recruit
Good evening!! Just picked up a bow mount to take the kids out with....

Looks like I need a "plate" or ?? to mount it to the boat. It has a base with a few SS 'pins' through it, but looks like they are to ... :confused:

Soooo.... anyone have been down this road? want to take the kids out, but don't think that I should tie-wrap or 'lag' this thing down with my carpenter skills... :rolleyes:

Its going on an old 1977 MonArk McFast 5 (15'er)... (Hey, it's all momma would let me buy to start with on CL for $400.. and this motor for $70... and it floats and the kids are having fun catching LMB)

I see here on iboats that they have this one: (Part # MGA068X3) .....

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Jimmy

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: MotorGuide 748 Mounting Bracket ??

Unless you want to remove the motor a quick release plate is not necessary. There should be mounting holes on the base plate. Lag bolts are NOT used for this and tie-wraps are a good way to lose the motor. Bolts, nuts, and washers are required or if there is no access under the bow, use of "well nuts" is required. Unless something is missing from the motor, the base is simply bolted to the bow.

engine95

Recruit

OK...

I see 5 holes per side with what looks as if they take 1/4-20's (?)

Obviously SS bolts would be the hit, although it looks as if a midget contortionist is the only way to get back into the only access hole at the bow. :)

Also, when I placed it on the bow, it doesn't look like there is a way to utilize all of the holes... Kinda makes me worry a bit with "flexing" ....

"well nuts".... is that similar to "T-nuts" that are used on... like.. plywood?

Sorry about the reference to tie wraps and lag bolts.... I was just 'playing' with my wife on that one...;)

THanks for the help and demystification.....

JG

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A picture of the motor base would sure help here. And just so you know, you cannot mount the motor unless you deploy it (as it would be when in the water). That should give you clear access to the mounting holes in the base. Well nuts (Minnkota calls them isolators) are rubber sleeves with a flange on top and a nut that is embedded in the bottom. You drill the mounting hole for the well nut (snug fit). Push in the well nuts, set the motor on them, and insert the bolts. When the bolts are tightened the nut pulls up, expanding the sleeve so it fits very tightly in the hole.