hoist ideas

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am going to have to make a hoist my cherry picker is to short by about a foot. Who has made a hoist in the past. i am thinking an a frame with a my come a long in the middle... any ideas

ziggy

Admiral
Re: hoist ideas

i am thinking an a frame with a my come a long in the middle... any ideas
yep, that's the right idea i think. seemed the best idea come up with from talking with others here on iboats...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wonder if I would have to double brace everything. I am pulling a 454 and putting in the 350. 800 lbs proably max... SO I am thinking for the 2x4 foot boards, the will be 2x10 up and downs and a 2 or 4x8 across

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Use your judgment and be safe. I built mine with doubled 2x10's running up the sides, then three 2x10's on their side running hroizontally across. These were held in place with short 2x4's screwed to the verticals to create a sort of yoke that the horizontals sat inside of. The verticals were lashed to the sides of the (pontoon) boat and had 8 foot 2x4's going fore and aft at a 45 degree angle to the ground, where they bottomed in shallow holes. The 2-ton come-along was hooked to a chain which was around the horizontals, the chain held in place with many deck screws (although it won't slide once the load is there anyway). All of the lumber pieces were assembled with many, many deck screws. I was pulling a 3.0, so it was light compared to yours. The way I built it, it wouldn't move. It sounds like you'll be driving the boat out from under the hoist, so it has to be free standing. Shouldn't be difficult to set up. No matter how strong it is, keep the body parts you like out from underneath! :)

45Auto

Commander

Might want to take a look at this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=334598&highlight=hoist

If you have the other engine ready to drop in, you can rent a 5000 lb forklift around here for $100 for half a day. They deliver it and come pick it up. If you get the old engine ready to pull and the new one ready to put in before you rent the forklift, it should be easy to swap them out in less than an hour.

Steven D

Seaman

I pulled mine by building scaffold towers on each side of the boat, spanning with a 12" truss and attaching the hoist to that. I happened to have access to the scaffold and truss for free and own the hoist but I'm sure these could be rented at the local tool rental house for reasonable rates for the day.

I'd have to recommend extreme caution when dealing with these kind of dynamic loads.

Steven

Big Boat Bay Buster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OAK TREE

done11.jpg