Possibly buying a Mercury 220 XRi EFI engine any good?

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all what are the 220 EFI XRi engiens like circa 1990 I think. Are they reliable? any known issues? etc? A total money pit possibly?

I'm looking at a new boat and it has one on it. It seems to have been fully serviced etc but I want to know what to look for when I go and see it.

willp2

Seaman
Re: Possibly buying a Mercury 220 XRi EFI engine any good?

I've got a 1993 200HP XRi and it has been awesome. Runs strong. Starts first turn every time. None of the 2 stroke issues I?ve had in the past like fouling plugs and that sort of thing. Very easy upkeep and has never left me stranded (knocking on wood).

All that said its really gets down to condition and how well it?s been taken care of.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As mentioned by the previous poster, the condition of the motor is a major consideration. There are several basic checks worth doing yourself (or by someone onther than the seller) before buying a used outboard. This includes checking the compression on all cylinders, checking lower unit lube for water intrusion, checking for a good spark on all cylinders, and checkng for sufficent voltage at the battery when the motor is running. The below linked thread is a good read on what else to consider checking before buying.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=188767

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks chaps. Sounds good to me.

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

I notice on the FAQ about pulling the leads of the plugs when its running... this sounds a bit dodgy, can the coils and ignition drivers take that abuse without frying anything? Also I would have thought that the user stands a fair chance of getting a belt as well....

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can pull one spark plug wire at a time without concern. It is not advisable that you pull the wires with your bare hands though. That would certainly give you a jolt and you would probably give up doing the test before finishing all six cylinders. There are insulated tongs/plyers/tools that are made for this purpose. You can find them at any automotive store for just a few bucks.

There are some, I am sure, that would say that this test procedure is not necessary to judge a used motor. I will also admit that I did not do this test myself when I bought my used 1996 150hp outboard. However, I think it is good test to do as it could highlight mechanical problems affecting only one cylinder (such as bad reed valves) that may not be noticable any other way.

Just my thoughts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

The only problem that I know of for that engine is the power trim motor replacement is expensive and that year series of ECU's had problems with the driver board becoming unplugged internally, simple fix with shrap rap from rubber mallet on right front of case above lettering imprint (Merc tech rep:D)

madgadget

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok great we shall see how it goes. I have made the guy with the engine and boat an offer... Probably not enough but we shall see!!!