2000 Mercury 25hp and current production Mercury 25 Seapro - Same controls/starter?

twebster

Recruit
Long story short, the year model 2000 Mercury 25 2 stroke motor on my jon boat got water in the lower cylinder, lost and ring and it chewed up the piston and the cylinder wall. It can be repaired; however, at a fairly steep price.

I was considering just putting the money toward a new or newer engine instead. I found an online source for current production 25 hp 2 stroke Mercury Seapro motors and was wondering if the electric start components and the controls that I have for my 2000 model will work with the Seapro.

I have the Parts Catalog and Shop Manual for my motor and it includes the Seapro 25 and it looks as though they use the same components, but it is for the model year 2000 and I am not sure if there were any significant changes along the way.

Also, my motor was originally a manual start, tiller shift/steer model that was converted to electric start and remote controls. The Seapro model is manual start, tiller steer but side shift.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2000 Mercury 25hp and current production Mercury 25 Seapro - Same controls/starte

Hi,

If they are about the same year you may be ok.
I don't think they changed much on them for some years.
Find ot the year and check some part numbers out like carb stuff or ing parts.
If they are the same your good to go.