Rust-O-Leum

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm painting an aluminum hull with rustoleum. It already has a good coat of the same paint I'm using on it. I'm just painting it because I want a different color.
Can I just put my 2 finish coats directly over the rustoleum that;s already on it?
Also, is it crazy to paint an aluminum boat white? Attach your white aluminum boat photos if you've got'em! I need convincing

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Rust-O-Leum

Just scuff up the old paint a little for better adhesion..

Wash with vinegar/water (50/50) tack dry and get to rolling with closed cell rollers. The kind for painting cabinets or umm Alum siding!

Before

111031.jpg

After

bottompaint1.jpg

All with Rustoleum.

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That boat looks great! That blue color is kinda what i was thinking for the bottom as well. Is that bottom paint or rustoleum as well?

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Nice job the boat looks great, wouldn't mineral spirits be a better choice to wash the boat with prior to paint?

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The big issue is sanding it. If old paint is on there good you have no reason to mess with it, but if it is peeling the new will peel too. Try to find a red scotch pad to sand it with, they are the bomb, get into all the corners and seams with it as that is where it will peel first because it was not sanded. Open flat areas you can use a finer paper like 400 better yet machine sand it but don't sand through the old paint if it is on there good. Or you can wet sand with 600. All you need to do is take the shine off and smooth any dirt/scratches in the old finish.

Roller can work well because it dries so slow and smooths out nice. Spray with maybe 10% thinner works well too. I don't know how well it will hold up left in the water, in that case consider a boat paint they are not that expensive. If a trailer boat then not an issue. I have a white row boat I am going to paint white again, it looks fine in factory white.

Yeah wash it really well before you do anything. I'd wipe/wipe dry with paint thinner also but if you never waxed it/etc you may get away without that.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That boat looks great! That blue color is kinda what i was thinking for the bottom as well. Is that bottom paint or rustoleum as well?

The bottom is plain old rustoleum as well..
Since she wont be sitting in any brackish water, it will be fine..
Just fresh water hose her down..

Thanks for the compliment, took about 6 hrs total and 30 bux in paint.
It's Gloss White & Royal Marine Blue..by the way..

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok well mine is partially white like Kevs just reversed . Same Rusto paint just differant colors and I rolled it just like Kev did :D.

DSCI0185.jpg

DSCI0187.jpg

Rick

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What's the deal with the roll-on application? From my experience with oil-based rustoleum, it seems pretty forgiving as far as brush marks are concerned....is brushing an option, or am I just thinking crazy thoughts? :rolleyes:

I like the red/white 2-tone by the way....looks like it's goin' 45mph just sittin there!

ChrisfromVT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

BTW...How do you paint the bottom of a larger boat? Is there a way to jack it up off the trailer??

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Drop the trailer tongue to the ground, block the transom. Raise the trailer as high as you can get it, add more blocking and drop the trailer back to level.

Jeep Man

Commander

I'm painting an aluminum hull with rustoleum. It already has a good coat of the same paint I'm using on it. I'm just painting it because I want a different color.
Can I just put my 2 finish coats directly over the rustoleum that;s already on it?
Also, is it crazy to paint an aluminum boat white? Attach your white aluminum boat photos if you've got'em! I need convincing

My old Mirrocraft is factory white. I plan on overhauling it over the winter and will be freshening up the paint with a fresh coat of white.
What do you mean by finish coats. If you are using more rustoleum that's one thing. If your using some other brand , be aware that it may not adhere properly or come out the way you hoped. For example, automotive paint will have a lot of "fisheye" when put over rustoleum.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Not to hijack the thread, but will the roller application work on a glass boat?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Chris I painted the bottom of mine the hard way I made it roll over :D . The rolling thing really works great on these boats . I wouldnt even mess with a brush as its just so easy to roll it on.

Nitsuj Yes rolling and tipping works fine on glass boats as well. There are some really great examples down in the restoration forums .

Kev mine only looks better in pictures cause theres 400 coats on it so it looks deeper ROFLMAO.

Rick