trim fin missing

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just hauled my boat out of the water after a long fun summer and found my Trim Fin had fallen off and is now laying at the bottom of the Baltic.

Searched this site, but cannot find where to purchase a replacement.

My motor is a classic fifty Mercury 45 hp 2 stoke from 86. If someone could just point out where to pick online, I would be much obliged.

cheers

P.s. weirdly I noticed no difference in it whatsoever. steering wise i mean.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: trim fin missing

right here iboats,look under mercury outboard drive parts ,its there.they are also sacrafical anodes which im sure you need in the baltic.

j_martin

Admiral

right here iboats,look under mercury outboard drive parts ,its there.they are also sacrafical anodes which im sure you need in the baltic.

The trim tab is zinc, which will corrode before aluminum, thus taking the brunt of the salt water corrosion. It is maintenance item, as it literally dissolves as it does it's work. Now that it's gone, your LU is taking a real beating from corrosion.

On some setups, it isn't submersed at speed, and on those engines you can put on a flat plate sacrificial anode, without a fin.

hope it helps
John

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And the actually trim thing is busted, so I can't lift it out of the water, so leave it down all the time, bad I know, but i don't even know where to begin with fixing it. Luckily the Baltic is like super low sodium, so I don't think it will have damaged it too much.Plus, I get the feeling the engine is not long for this world, so trying to to lose too much sleep over it.

Thanks all the answers!
G

j_martin

Admiral

Yes sir.

Go to an online parts lookup, like mercury parts express, and find the parts list for your engine. There's only a few for mercury, so you found the right one here.

j_martin

Admiral

Mercury parts is US only :(

but cheers anyways!

<< Begin Lamblast>>
You could look up the part number, so when you get to an aftermarket source, you can just cross reference the factory number and know that you are getting a usable part.
<< End Lamblast>>:D:D

hope it helps
John

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great stuff!

Looked up the "replaces part" number, they seemed to match, so got one on order now. Christ, the more I read about this trim tab anode the more worried I get about the amount of time it has been missing, sort of like googling illness symptoms...

Any tips for connecting, should I give it a liberal application of grease?

j_martin

Admiral

Grizzly,
You're missing the point. The anode (fin) is a bare metal that will take the brunt of corrosion instead of the aluminum. It should be squeaky clean, no paint or grease or anything on it, and bolted on so it makes good electrical contact with the LU casting.

You stated that you had a long fun summer with this engine. There are specific points on it that should be lubricated every 30 days in salt water. Anode inspection is a 30 day item. The prop should come off and the prop shaft lubed every 60 days. Even in the fresh water, we tilt our engine out of the water when docked so the marine life doesn't call it home. You run this thing like the kid that drives his new car till the oil light comes on, then gets concerned about oil.

Get an owner's manual, and pay special attention to the preventative maintenance, and you can enjoy this thing for years, instead of a season.

Another thing. This Mercury engine doesn't care if it's on the Baltic, or the Gulf of Mexico. Acquire the proper parts and lubes, internationally if necessary, or pay the price later.

hope it helps
John

Grizzlybear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sterling advice as always Mr Martin. Cheers

Grizzly...