Starcraft Tramson Question

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Recently got a 1982 Starcraft 18 ft CC. Posted this question before but now have a new idea. The 80 HP Merc currently on the boat does not run. I have a 1984 115 Evinrude & will be swapping motors. Naturally mounting bolts do not match up. The Merc's brackets are narrower and any bolts even carrige will interfear with the Evinrudes brackets will be dimpled into the transom. I have acces to some 1/4 inch aluminum. How would it work if I bolted a plate about 12 in X 18 in to the transom with 3M 5200 inbetween the surfaces and mounted to this? I talked to the guy about welding the plate on and he was concerned about the differences in thickness being a problem. Any thoughts on the plate? I'm trying to get ready for some fall Striper action. Thanks for any ideas

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Starcraft Tramson Question

You can do that with a flat plate of aluminum or use a piece of 3/4 plywood sealed up real good.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

what kind of plywood & what do I seal it with ? Thanks for youy ideas

Rickairmedic

Commander

Regular old exterior grade plywood will work just fine ( Not pressure treated ). Sealing can be done with Resin . You can also use a wood sealer such as thompsons but you'll be doing it again.

Rick

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I was going to go with a 1/4 inch aluminum plate but then I noticed all the rivits from the center transom support and couldnt get a flush fit anyway. this site is the best I've every seen. so many ideas & only one boat to work on. Thank God

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well if you want to use the aluminum you will have to....... place some wet paint on every rivet and placed the aluminum up against it to mark the rivets.... get a 1/2 drill and make small counter sunk holes at every paint drop. If you have the patience you can mount the plate flush. You could even mount it with a few pop rivets since the engine will be bolted right through it.

Just do not think that sheet will be sufficient as a brace for extra HP

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

great idea about using the paint to identify the rivets but what do you mean about the sheet being sufficient as a brace for extra HP?
I'm really a novice with aluminum boats and have learned so much from and prevented many mistakes I might have made