DEAD in the water 85 force

Duke11pl

Cadet
have a 89 85 horse force I put boat in the water would'nt start.. pump fuel ball and it started but would'nt stay running without me manualing running throttle .paddled back too dock noticed that the side gaskets were leaking fuel i geuss this is the intake . when the motor did run it seemed too blow fuel out the side with a hiss .is this why the boat wont run please HELP kids and wife want too go for a ride . they think i should buy different motor but i think i can get it going p.s. i dont have any history on the boat checked comp. 130 on all 3 cyc. good spark thanks any help would be helpful

Unbalanced

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: DEAD in the water 85 force

"side gasket" is pretty vauge. Post some pictures of the area you're talking about.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Sounds like maybe the by-pass port covers? If so, this will definitely affect the way the motor runs. The by-pass ports feed the air/fuel mixture into the cylinders. Any leaks here and your motor will not run very well. Need to either tighten the bolts, change the gaskets or do both.

john from md

Commander

First, look at the sticky about how to get the best results for your question.
Next buy a Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual as you are going to need it to maintain this engine.

John

mern

Cadet

I just replaced my "transfer port?" gaskets on my 95 Force 70, along with rebuilt fuel pump. Did the decarb also. Never ran so good. From wot to idle in a split second with nary a stumble, and will idle all day. Gasket were visibly blown and most of the bolts were little more than finger tight. $8/ea for the gaskets and 1 hour total. Good luck!

Duke11pl

Cadet

yea gas leaks out the ports alot of burnt carbon on the piston ordered gasket kit should be in tomorrow .I can rebuild cat diesel and cummins but dont know much about 2 stroke motors weed eater about the limit and when thats dies i buy another one. long haul trucker here so i will get back too uall as soon as i can thanks for the help. hope the wife and kids dont munity on me.

Duke11pl

Cadet

just received the gaskets and now the the motor is running great will try this weekend . go trucking too n.c. so thanks for the help- will have it in the water this weekend idles real good in the drive the wife is not going too munity on me yet we will see. thanks again;) p.s how fast will a bayliner go with 85 horse never had one:)

john from md

Commander

With two people without trimtabs or smart tabs, you will be able to to 35 to 38 GPS. Put a set of smart tabs on it and you can get 40 to 45.

This assumes the engine is running on top line and you have the correct prop.

John

Duke11pl

Cadet

what pitch should i run kids are young and want too tube . light in weight but i'n 210 lbs .should be in water this weakend . thanks

john from md

Commander

17 pitch is what you usually want for tubes and boards.

John

Duke11pl

Cadet

update !!!!! 10-09-09 just came back from the lake after replacing port gaskets on my 85 horse force also had too adjust idle boat proformed unreal. idile great!!!! made it past no wake and opened it up wot she flew and no problems at all went threw 16 gallons of gas with no issues at all !!!!! stooed a couple of times turned motor off and she alway restarted without heisatation!!!! top speed about 40 mph going too get new prop sence the old one is nicked up bent just alittle on one fin .. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP !!!!!!!:)

dan4081

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great to hear!
The posters on this forum are a wealth of knowledge!!!