alpha 1 gen 2 impeller replacement

reims

Cadet
i have a 2008 3.0 mercruiser and am thinking of replacing my impeller, eventho no heating issues are present. I am wondering if this is a waste of money and time since boat only has 40 hours on it. I have read that some people do it every year no matter what, and some say unless theres an issue dont worry bout it...any info or opinions are appreciated. sound like an easy job, but have yet to find a good step by step instructions with pics.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: alpha 1 gen 2 impeller replacement

first off go to the adults only section and download the proper manuals for you engine and drive. some guys change the impeller every year. some guys every other year. but you definitely change it as part of routine maintenance. waiting for it to be a "issue" is called an overheat and a ruined day on the water. also with those smaller motors and there aluminum heads, an overheat could be the end all of your season and very expensive to boot.

heres a link to the alpha 1 gen 2 lower drive section that shows how to inspect and change the pump.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/14/14b3.pdf

40 hours on your boat isn't much to start tearing into the drive i think. this is what the manual says about the impeller
"Disassemble and inspect seawater pump and replace worn components every 100 hours or annually"

reims

Cadet

Ya.... i think i will wait until i get a few more hours on my boat before i worry bout it then, was just curious if it "should be done"...but with no heating issues i think i am leaving it alone...thanx

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Local shops say 2-3 years regardless of hours as the impeller degrades from age more so than hours. I am no a mcahanic so I am only passing on this bit of info as I just asked the same question.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Gen 2 pump impellars are good for 3 years. I'd worry about it in 2011.

reims

Cadet

thanx for the info, by the way this boat is always run in frshwater, does that make a difference?, as i would think the saltwater would break down the impeller faster???