Re Carpet Bunks

mwhitten

Seaman Apprentice
I have recieved my bunk carpet this weekend from iboats. My four bunks are 20'each. Should I use carpet nailes or staples? What is the recommended size?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Re Carpet Bunks

I have used both stainless screws with washers on them and heavy galvinized staples (couldnt find stainless) 1/2- 3/4 inch worked well.
and depending on what type of wood you are using you may want to pre drill the holes, so it doesnt split.
rob

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Monel or stainless staples.
They're not cheap.
3/8" worked for me.
I got mine at Lowe's.

JGM98467

Recruit

I used 1/2" Monel staples that I found at the local True Value store ($19/ box). I found stainless staples evrywhere but they all specifically stated NOT for marine use:confused:. Good Luck!

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been very satisfied with Monel staples re-doing upholstry and carpeting bunks. Found a box on sale years ago and about needing to pay the higher price for a new box.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Monel is what you want, as stated before, stainless has enough iron in it to eventually corrode. Monel is expensive and very hard to work with, it makes a great bolt or staple!

mwhitten

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you everyone. I now have Monel staples and plan to work on them this weekend.