1967 Starcraft 19' Imperial - Anyone have info?

tev2229

Seaman
Hi All,

For under 600 bucks, I just bought a Fiberglass 1967 18' Starcraft Imperial I/O V hull with a 250cid 150hp Mercruiser. This thing is a beast, at just under 2000 pounds (empty!). Overall the boat is in okay shape, but it needs work. I'll have to go through the trailer as well.

Cosmetically, the interior is the worst part. The floor is soft in one spot, so I plan to do some core samples to see how bad the wood/foam really is. The seats are in terrible shape, I'll just junk those.

The mechanical condition is the best part. The motor runs strong, idles smooth and shifts great. The PO did a tune-up, with new fluids, plugs, wires and head gasket. The steering system is intact and looks like it will last.

I have a few ideas from looking around at other SC owners posts, and I am very excited. I am a college student so my work will be subject to classes and money.

Does anyone have any more information about the boat? I have some ideas for the interior, but don't know where to start. I appreciate anyone's advice or suggestions!

My main worry is that the foam under the floor and in the hull may be soaked. But I plan on doing the floor anyway...Is there anything else I should look for with a fiberglass boat?:confused::confused::confused:

Pics to come soon!

starcraftb67016.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 1967 Starcraft 19' Imperial - Anyone have info?

You got a good deal on that old rig...good luck with her:D

tev2229

Seaman

Thanks Huron! It does look like the pics, except I don't have a nice sun hat and I'm pretty sure my girl won't sit in the back. These ads crack me up!

I like your Riviera, I always wanted a Cadillac. Those things are built to last.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks Huron! It does look like the pics, except I don't have a nice sun hat and I'm pretty sure my girl won't sit in the back. These ads crack me up!

I like your Riviera, I always wanted a Cadillac. Those things are built to last.

The Cadillac Riviera is actually my buddy's boat...I'll tell him that he's getting compliments on it though:D

I tried convincing him to start a restoration thread on it but he hasn't been doing much with it lately.

I agree the old brochures are hilarious. Did you see the brochure thread I started? I've been adding them as I get more from people.

Is that Mercuiser a 3.0L?

tev2229

Seaman

Have you seen Fiberglassics.com? Great site! I looked through your brochures and found my boat!!

The mercruiser is a 250cid GM L6 (150hp). The more modern version is 165hp. I think thats around a 4.2L but not sure.

tev2229

Seaman

Well unfortunately I am looking for a boat, again. The "Starcraft" turned out to be a SeaRay, fraudulently re-branded a starcraft - capacity/mfg plate was glue on. I should have known better, but I got my money back.

I have my eyes on an 81 SeaRay, SRV1--. New floor, tuned up engine, just needs some bellows work done. Well, I am sad about the misfortune but glad I came out of it.

Be careful what you buy, and do your homework. IF something is too good to be true, it probably is. :redface:

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

not to split hairs er.. ci's the 250ci is 4.1L, be sure to do a compression test to see where the engine is at... did you take it for a test ride ?

tev2229

Seaman

I don't have the boat anymore, check the post right above yours. Thank you though, I will do a compression test on any boat I check out.

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/1408331069.html

[16ft Starcraft boat with a 650 Mercury outboard. Merc is in great condition, runs great and was tuned by marina this spring. The boat has lots of new stuff including; new treated lumber floors, new marine carpet, new water pump and other misc. I have been working on this boat for a couple of years, it is a great fishing boat. I had it on Lake Michigan and Torch and a mess of small lakes this summer. The high walls are great on the big water. Trailer is in great shape with new paint and new tires. There are a few small projects left to do-if you want to-like new seats and mounts. Great boat if fits your needs. Asking $850.00.]

This boat has been posted 5-6 times and I called on it since it is what I'm looking for...a Starcraft with a sweet Merc hanging off the transom.

It's a LONESTAR the guy says when I questioned him about the unique windshield that slides instead of flipping. I said "that must be a rare SC with the sliding middle windshield pane" and he's like oh yeah it's not a Starcraft:eek:

So he keeps posting it as a Starcraft since he knows people like them for their quality tin hulls. Well he's right...but shouldn't be lying to folks about it just to sell it.

That tugboat conversion is sweet:D Pricey...but sweet nonetheless.

Hope you end up finding a nice comfortable rig to enjoy:)

tev2229

Seaman

Huron,

Too bad no one wants to be honest anymore. He probably can't sell it because he's being dishonest. I would be pretty ticked off (yeah, been through that already) if I called and he told me it wasn't a Starcraft. What a waste of time.

I might be having my dad check out a boat for me tonight, if he can. http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/1405977508.html

I talked to the owner, and he seemed pretty reasonable. First question I asked, "Does the registration match the boat?" He re-did the stringers, floor and seat. Its got 2 covers, and I need a good one during winter (as I am sure you do in Michigan) since I store outside. I'll just have to look into replacing the blown bellows before hitting the water in Spring. Parts are cheap, but it looks difficult.

I am doing an internship in VA right now, so my Dad is nice enough to look at boats for me in NY. If only I could convince my girlfriend that we need a boat.

Hope you find what you are looking for as well! That merc does look worth the price...

North Beach

Commander

Tev, where are you in VA? I run into all kinds of stuff during my nightly scan of all things Stercraft on Craigs List.

tev2229

Seaman

I am in Blacksburg, across the street from Virginia Tech. I'm looking to spend under $1000. Thanks NB!