Winterized boat depression

superbenk

Commander
Just winterized and laid up the boat this past weekend. We're just too busy through the rest of the fall & family has lost interest now that the weather is starting to change. It's put me into a funk.

What do you guys do to deal with the depression of a boating season come to an end?

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterized boat depression

Well, I'm dealing wit the exact same thing. On Sunday, I cracked open a couple of cold ones, waxed the boat from top to bottom, cleaned the inside and sat in it on the driveway listening to my IPOD. Its going in for winterizing and storage this week. Oh well, I'll look at all the great pics we took this summer and have something to look forward to come April. this next year, I intend on keeping boat closer to home for more use. Cant wait!

superbenk

Commander

I had planned to take today off since my kids had off from school for one last day on the lake, but all weekend long the weather report got drearier & drearier and then my oldest got sick! So the boat got winterized & I canceled the vacation day :(

Of course right now the sun is shining and it's beautiful out, go figure. Having a boat has ruined fall/winter for me :)

rb8484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am just refusing to winterize yet. I am hoping for that one 75 degree fall day will happen on my day off. Fingers crossed!!! I WANT ONE MORE BOATING DAY!!!
12-18 footers out on lake michigan today. 30-40mph winds today with gusts over 60!!! Its suppose to be in the 50's all day and has been raining all morning. YUCK!!!
I might head out to lake michigan just to take pictures!!

superbenk

Commander

I am just refusing to winterize yet. I am hoping for that one 75 degree fall day will happen on my day off. Fingers crossed!!! I WANT ONE MORE BOATING DAY!!!
12-18 footers out on lake michigan today. 30-40mph winds today with gusts over 60!!! Its suppose to be in the 50's all day and has been raining all morning. YUCK!!!
I might head out to lake michigan just to take pictures!!

Ya, I'm afraid of the weather changing really quickly and getting a good freeze at night or something unexpectedly. Plus, with my schedule filling up I didn't know when I'd get to it next. Really stinks, but a cracked block would stink more.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I am able to hold off the "funk" for a few more months. The best fishing of the year is in late October-mid November. So you put on your woolies and go into the ocean and get 'em.

One year it was getting real cold in December (20s) and I had an I/O, so I cranked it up, went fishing for 1/2 day and trailered the boat home. I spent the rest of the day cleaning the boat and winterizing the motor. The highlight of the day, was the fresh water freezing on the swim platform, on contact, and me slipping all over on it. I got her all put to sleep, before anything important froze, and the next day was sunny and in the 50s. Go figure.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you guys do to deal with the depression of a boating season come to an end?

i have no idea and im not looking forward to it. i was just out this morning for 2 hours and its 70* here. i have my slip till nov 15th and can get it back march 15th. this was my first season so i don't know how hardcore i am about the cold. i have the camper top on her now and any day its sunny and not windy im out there until its to cold to be fun. i was actually thinking of joining my local US Power Squadron over the winter and maybe taking some of there seamanship and piloting courses.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What does winterize mean? :D:cool:

As stated earlier, the best fishing of the year doesn't start for another month or two. The Bay Striper season doesn't end until December 31 and if I still have not had my share I can always run to Va. Beach and catch them into late January, early February.

The boat goes back in the slip for the Spring the second week of March so I'm off the water maybe 3-6 weeks a year max. and that's at my discretion:)

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

We still have here 5 or 6 good weeks of fishing here, the boat won't get winterized til November.............

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This weekend was probably our last weekend. We were skiing and wakeboarding Friday night. Then football took over Saturday and we lost all the nice weather to that. Sunday was a write off, too windy.

So, on the weekend I did the following:

1) Created a new boating inspired theme for my computer consisting of pics of my boat and other ones like it (Windows 7 - changes the wallpaper automatically every 15 minutes - lots of third paryt apps do that too for XP and Vista).

2) Stumbled across a new boat manufacturer called Axis Wake Research and began brainstorming on my 10 year plan to own a brand new one (also known as getting a head start on my mid-life crisis).

3) Finished installing my fishfinder on my transom without screwing into the hull (I have another thread I'll toss some pics into tonight - I'm killing time at work right now.)

4) Repaired a broken trailer light and replaced a few reflectors with reflective tape.

5) Planned out how to replace the non-slip material on my trailer, and though about how badly I want to maintain the custom lettering when I replace it.

I'm actually not quite done for the season, but I think the water sports are over. I need to go out a few times to make sure my fish finder works properly and accurately shows me the water depth (and doesn't fly off and slap me in the back of the head) . Also, I'm scheduled for ramp winterizing on October 17th - basically I go for a cruise to get the engine nice and hot and then a local guy does all the winterizing and service when you retrieve the boat right at the ramp.

For the winter, the boat is getting stored in my heated garage because I'm planning some work:

1) Cheap stereo upgrades - head unit is probably staying another year, but the current speakers need replacing and I might buy some bargain sub woofers and a cheap amp and install those inside the rear seats.

2) Vinyl repairs - I have a half-dozen small vinyl repairs to do, and my rear seat needs to be recovered.

3) Trailer - a little bit of rust is forming - the trailer needs a good cleaning and touch up, and several coats of wax.

4) The boat and tower needs a good cleaning and a few coats of wax).

So, kind of looking forward to lay up a bit!! Plus, I can sit in it in my garage any time I want and have a beer!

DayCruiser

Ensign

I may try to get one more weekend out of this season. Freeze in parts of SC is around the middle of October. Ya depressing is the word. Sunday was pretty windy here too but we(dragging her) went anyway. Had the wind at our backs on the way home. Really doesn't bother me but the ol lady really doesn't like riding into the wind and waves that come with it. I don't care for boating in cold weather and the boat does need serviced. So out she goes--very soon haha

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

It's a pain because my other hobby is motorcycling, so both will be done around the same time. In the motorcycle world, we call it PMS, Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. I guess for boats it would be PBS. Anyhow, I hope to get a few more outings this year. Then I'll fight the depression by being able to work on the boat over the winter. My mother in law just threw her good for nothing husband out, so she's got an extra garage stall I can keep the boat in, and it's jut down the street. I have a few projects I want to complete before spring. And I'd like to buy a cabin cruiser over the winter, so that should add some excitement.

Jeep Man

Commander

Yeah, I'm north of the boarder, and I'm not ready to put her away yet. Our Thanksgiving is the weekend of Oct.12 and the family likes a last cruise then. So here's hoping the weather holds. I'm going to the cottage this weekend to get the trailer ready.

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cruising will be great into October. Just don't fall in the water :eek:

lindy46

Captain

Here in Michigan, we put our boats away October 15th and put them back in the water no later than April 15th. 6 months in, 6 months out. I hate winter.

superbenk

Commander

A lot of you are holding out until deep into the end of the year. That kind of surprises me. Aren't any of you concerned about freezing temps at night? Am I being overly paranoid? I haven't changed the oil yet, so maybe I'll have to re-evaluate my winterization plans and drag it out from around the side of the house for another trip or two? It doesn't take long to put the water drain plugs and the battery back in :)

Anyone familiar with the boat ramps on the Delaware at Neshaminy State Park and when they close up shop? I'm also curious about when they pull the courtesy docks on Blue Marsh & Beltzville lakes. I haven't tried going out on a river yet, but it is 1/2 the distance the lakes are!

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone familiar with the boat ramps on the Delaware at Neshaminy State Park and when they close up shop? I'm also curious about when they pull the courtesy docks on Blue Marsh & Beltzville lakes. I haven't tried going out on a river yet, but it is 1/2 the distance the lakes are!

In years past I used Neshaminy. Nice facility. No idea when they close for the season.
Blue Marsh- they usually keep the docks in until mid- October. I remember we went there once in late October and they were sitting up on the parking lot. UGH.
We still launched but it was a LOT more difficult.

superbenk

Commander

Desummerize the snowmobiles. Always helps me.

Oh, man, those were fun! We had those years ago up in NY. We don't have the snow here nor do I have the space (or money :p) for them anymore.

Good call, though! Enjoy them!