My cheap made in China generator review

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
So if your like me and hate dragging out the big generator when you only want to run a few lights or TV then read on. I'm at the auto parts store and see a 1K watt made in china generator for $100. I've been wanting a smaller gen. so I don't have to drag along my big one when I'm by myself and only want to power some lights or watch a movie. So I decide what the heck and bought it.

1st glance out of the box and the old adage that you get you what you pay for is confirmed. Mix the gas up at 40:1 and it starts on the 1st pull. Smokes for about 30 sec.. then calms dowm and runs pretty well but you can tell it's rich and there is no adjustment. Put a 500W halogen light on it and it smooths right out under load. I run it for 10 hrs and it never failed. All the reviews I read of these things say that the spark plug is junk. So the store only has a compatible Auto lite in stock. I figure I'll put a good plug on before anything, I try and pull the boot and it just falls apart. Some cheap spring thing that is just pushed into the wire. I have some screw in type NGK boots for motorcycles so I replace that. The autolite plug would fire it but trying to restart was tough, put the original plug back in and it worked great with the new boot.

So I just leave the thing running through 2 tanks of fuel thinking it has a 2 year warranty, might as well try and blow it up the 1st day. No chance, this is a dead simple 2 stroke motor that is driving an alternator. I have to say for $100 I am impressed. I wouldn't count on it in an emergeny but if your looking for something smaller and can't justify or afford a honda then it seems like a good deal. It is louder than the small Honda's for sure but it is sure quiter than my 3500 watt honda generator. This is a good item for tailgating or running a few lights at camp when you don't wan't to drag out the big boy. I got it a Checker/shucks/kragen and it's a powerstar plus. I think I would trust this one more than I would trust a cheap side valve 4 stroke. If you want a 4 stroke I say get a good one. If you want a cheap one this little 2 stroke may be for you.

My thoughts were I buy cheap weed eaters every 4-5 years for a $100 a throw and when their shot I strip the good parts and get another. Actually I've been through 2 in the last 15 years. So I figure what's the difference? If it lasts 4-5 years I'll get another, if it doesn't It will be a $100 lesson.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: My cheap made in China generator review

Sounds like a pretty good product at a very low price.

That doesn't make it cheap in my book, and I don't really give a flip where it was made.

Thanks for sharing. Good review.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I taking it to elk camp this weekend and run it for 4-5 days and see how it does. It also has battery charging cables that came with it. I have not had the opportunity to try those out. They don't look like they would jump start anything, more like a trickle charger.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Probably took an old OMC Lawn-Boy and copied it with the cheapest materials they could procure. Those old Lawn-Boy's were tough even with inferior materials probably still a tough engine.

Friend had a small chinesse diesel genny, I think it started on fire for a brief period and then he sold it at an auction sale.
;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like great value for occasional use.

steddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Made in China, Taiwan, or Japan. Whatever. What's the difference?

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

>Made in China, Taiwan, or Japan. Whatever. What's the difference?

You can tell the Chinese one, it has the lead paint.

I recently bought a 4 stroke string trimmer. Super nice. No mixing. No oil residue from the exhaust getting on your clothes when you carry it around. It's super quiet compared to the 2 strokers. I'm all for weaning myself off of any 2 strokes over time...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've got one of those cheap generators also. 63CC 2 stroke, rated for 1500 watts. I've run a 1500 watt heater off it, it really pulls it down but it won't kick out the breaker on it. It is also rated for 10 amps on the DC side, so it won't jump start a vehicle, but leave it running on a dead battery and it should only take a couple minutes before you can start the engine.

no complaints, especially since I got mine on sale for $79! Like you mentioned it isn't really happy with no load, it prefers at least something on it to help stabilize it, it will hunt all over the place for a stable idle otherwise.

spktho

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a chinese Honda knockoff 3Kw generator about 5 years ago for like $200. The thing still starts with one pull and it doesn't matter how long the gas has been sitting in it. I do run the carb dry before storing it though.

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

>Made in China, Taiwan, or Japan. Whatever. What's the difference?

You can tell the Chinese one, it has the lead paint.

I recently bought a 4 stroke string trimmer. Super nice. No mixing. No oil residue from the exhaust getting on your clothes when you carry it around. It's super quiet compared to the 2 strokers. I'm all for weaning myself off of any 2 strokes over time...

4-stroke trimmers are nothing but p.o.s. I had one and will never buy another one. If you can take that piece of crap back and get a good 2-stroke you better do it.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

4-stroke trimmers are nothing but p.o.s. I had one and will never buy another one. If you can take that piece of crap back and get a good 2-stroke you better do it.

Too funny! Because you bought a POS, they are all POS, eh? I got news for ya, mine works fine and I see no reason why, after a season of hard use, it will not continue to perform well. Perhaps you bought the cheapest one available???

Why not elaborate and tell us what you didn't like about it?

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

My 4-stroke trimmer was made by MTD but branded as Troy Built.
The thing is heavy. I think it still runs fine (I threw it as far as I could the other day) but it spits the line. One second I will have 6" of line out the next second I have 3' out. I swapped the shaft ends from another MTD trimmer I had and a week later it started spitting the string again. I fiddled around with this trimmer for days trying to get it not to spit the line but wasn't able to fix it so I tossed it out of frustration.
Spitting line might not have anything to do with 4-strokes but go to a gardening equipment forum and see what the Pro's say about them.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Replaced my 2 stroke trimmer with a 4 stroke. Hated the way the line came out but fixed that with a replacement head. Love the 4 stroke.

Same thing with a kicker. Went from a Johnson 9.9 to a Honda 10 and love the change.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

OK, so we probably agree on the line issue. I was wondering why the 4 stroke engine was a point of contention. Mine is only marginally heavier than the old 2 stroker I had. It will also idle without spinning the head.

But the line deployment mechanism is a PITA. Mine has a dual line spool. It got tangled almost immediately and would not deploy with the spool bump. So I took it off and tried to respool it. Who designs these things!?! You need three hands and a ton of patience, neither of which I had that day. Fortunately, my frugal nature had saved an old spool and it fit the new trimmer.

The 4 stroke seems to have way more low end torque and powers through stuff that used to take full throttle on the old unit. It's so quiet, I can run it without disturbing the neighbors and my hearing.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know how we went all the way to weedeaters, but I thought I'd give an update after running the gen. for 4 days at 4-5 hours a day. It worked great and does exactly what I wanted it to do which was run a string of lights at camp, so I am happy with the buy.