2007 merc 4 stoke 60hp cooling issues

huntindave

Recruit
Hi guys,
I am having a cooling problem on my 60hp merc. It is a 2007 model year 4 stoke outboard.

History is; Ran into some sand and the tattletale outlet plugged up. Cleared it several times and it continued to plug with bits of sand but engine did not overheat.

Next trip out; still no tattletale stream and now the engine alarm goes off and it is getting hot. I opened up the water pump and everything looks fine. Took out the thermostat and found it plugged with sand. I reassembled the housing without the thermostat and took it out on the lake to flush it out(no water hose or air pressure at campground to flush in camp). Then engine did not overheat but still no water out the indicator stream.

I reinstalled the housing with the thermostat in place and took it the boat out to the lake again. Same results, no stream but the engine doesn't overheat at least the alarm and shut down is not going off.

I'm home now and pulled the hoses off the tattletale outlet and checked the thermostat. Everything is clear, where should I check next for a blockage? Could it be blocked between the intake and water pump?