New Boater with bad luck. 89' Force 85hp

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I plan to bring my boat to the lake for the first time, Before that I put on the flush muff and water to "test" the engine before i drive 50 miles to the lake (picture 1). The engine start right away. But then I notice a problem, there is no water comming out of the back.(picture 2). is there something wrong with the motor? I shut of the engine within 10 seconds after it start.
So i did not ended up taking it to the lake. Can someone help me?

picture1
boat06.jpg

picture2
boat07.jpg

NYBo

Admiral
Re: New Boater with bad luck. 89' Force 85hp

Water will only sputter out of those holes, and it will take several seconds before even that starts.

chitownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on my 85hp it took about twenty seconds to get water

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

on my 85hp it took about twenty seconds to get water

I read in the forums that a few sec could burn the engine, so i don't dare to leave it on for too long..... i try a few time of about 10 sec each still no water... see little smoke though. is there ant other way to test the pump?

foodfisher

Captain

My 125hp acted the same. Went to replace the impeller and found the old one in 15 or so pieces. After replacement and before reassembly, check all water passageways as best as you can, for stray pieces.

foodfisher

Captain

More thoughts: Your engine won't burn up with a "few" seconds of running without water. The impeller is a different story. Give it 30 seconds with the muffs and if no spits and sputters appear at the two holes you circled, shut it off and replace the impeller.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

More thoughts: Your engine won't burn up with a "few" seconds of running without water. The impeller is a different story. Give it 30 seconds with the muffs and if no spits and sputters appear at the two holes you circled, shut it off and replace the impeller.

ok, i will try it again and see how. have to work tomorrow so earlies I can test is tuesday. will report the result.

btw, if I see water comming out and I let the propeller spin a little, just want to be sure everything is before i winterize it. Thanks

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah dont mistake these two holes as "tell-tales" like you might find on other engines that spit a steady stream of water. The Force engines will spit water out of these holes, they are not necessarily an indication of the condition of your impeller.

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

I turn the engine on for 20s today and water start to come out.... Thanks everyone for helping.