88' 48 SPL. good day gone bad!

trddunn

Cadet
I am fairly new to boating and hope you guys could point me in the right direction. Today my Son, bro in law, nephew and I were out fishing with my 88 Gulf Line w a 48 SPL and all was great. The boat ran great all day! We were headed back in at WOT and all of a sudden the boat comes to a stop and my RPM's rev up w a bad grinding. First I thought prop but all was good there. I put it in reverse and it worked ok. So we had to troll back to the trailer in reverse! Everyone was looking at us funny but at least we got back safe. Now with all that being said does anyone know what happend and how to fix. I am mech inclined so I want to do it myselfe. Thanks -Jason-

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 88' 48 SPL. good day gone bad!

not a good sign,sorry to hear it,start by pulling the oil from the lower unit,I suspect you will find metal shavings,if so,you need to pull the gearcase apart and then go from there.IO believe there is some kind of problem in those lowerunits.Based on ,I know few guys that had theirs blow and there arent many around either from rebuild shops or used.I hope you have good luck.Report back,I think certain 50 and 55 horse engines interchange,but some of the eperts here can give you the absolute there.Ebay is a great place to find used stuff.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Don't panic.
It may well be that your remote cable was just slightly misadjusted and this may have caused the outboard to slip out of gear.
Remember,when repairing an outboard always check out the simple and cheap possibilities first.

trddunn

Cadet

Don't panic.
It may well be that your remote cable was just slightly misadjusted and this may have caused the outboard to slip out of gear.
Remember,when repairing an outboard always check out the simple and cheap possibilities first.

Would that cause grinding? If it is an adjustment issue how do I adjust it?

trddunn

Cadet

Well I went out and drained the LU oil. First thing was, it was under pressure!? Is that normal? I just changed the oil per manual (in through bottom hole untill comes out of top hole) did I do something wrong? Now for the BAD stuff. The oil was dark and here is what I found!!!!!

IMG00102-20090927-1751.jpg

IMG00104-20090927-1751.jpg

IMG00105-20090927-1751.jpg

Looks like I need to dig DEEP into the pocket book. Crap!

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I am thinking your lower leg unit gear went South on you. I would either rebuild it or start finding a good used one off of Craigs List or EBay or try calling the local marine dealer and see if they have a good used one for sale. Yeap, to me it looks like the lower leg unit gears, clutch dog, went bad. Let us know, Bob :)

trddunn

Cadet

Yeah, I am thinking your lower leg unit gear went South on you. I would either rebuild it or start finding a good used one off of Craigs List or EBay or try calling the local marine dealer and see if they have a good used one for sale. Yeap, to me it looks like the lower leg unit gears, clutch dog, went bad. Let us know, Bob :)

Just off the top of your head, what price range am I looking at to rebuild VS buying a rebuild? Thanks

trddunn

Cadet

Being that the LU was under pressure when I took the plug out did I fill it wrong? Is that normal? Could that caused this?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

damn,thats what i was fearing for ya,no,you didnt do anything that caused it,when you filled it ,unless you didnt use the right oil,probably the thing to look for is a used lowerunit from ebay ,or 2nd choice a rebuilt .As I mentioned though,I THINK they are a rare aniimal.I look a bit for ya and if I see anything send you the link,.I do know IBOATS has
suppliers for rebuilt powerheads,maybe gearcases too.I'll get back if I see anything.Sorry Bud.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If you go to the IBOATS store ,under motors you should see rebuilders.Unfortunatly after I listed my state of FL.they gave 2 suppliers one price was 1500 the other 1100.here is a list of engines that will swap 2 Cylinder, Fits:40hp(1985-1988), 48hp(1987-1988), 50hp(1976-1988), 55hp(1979-1983 and 60hp(1980-1985)

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

There is a guy on here that blew his powerhead on his 50 hp.Maybe somehow you guys can work something out,I think if his gearcase will fit your engine ,it would be in his best interest to sell his gearcase,but thats his decision of cource,he may want your powerhead.Just a thought.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=354657

trddunn

Cadet

Dang you are fast! Thanks a lot! I removed the LU and the water pump but do not have the tools here at home to go further. I will be bringing home some of my tools from work tomorrow and will post pics of what I find.
I appreciate your help but would you go used not knowing what might fail in it and be back in the same place? It may just be safer to rebuild it so I know what has been done.

On a good note the impeller looked good. HAHA I will be doing a rebuild kit on that too.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

i agree totally,if you have the ability ,rebuild your own,but,beware,parts arent cheap,and you will need to have the pinion gear shimmed,there is a jig that is designed to allow measurement of play in the shaft ,if you have a local omc dealer,perhaps he will do it for you,i have read a bit about guys that are mechanical and made jigs,lets cross that bridge when it comes time,

trddunn

Cadet

Hey Mikesea I called around today and a re-maned is crazy high and the dealers I called said that shimming the drive gear is done while assy so they want to do the whole rebuild. Is this true or are they just pulling my leg? I have seen the jig you speek of here. Maybe someone can "rent" theirs to me?. They kind of make me nervous about doing this myself. I am an ASE cert mech but in auto. Should I not be as nervous as they are making me?

i agree totally,if you have the ability ,rebuild your own,but,beware,parts arent cheap,and you will need to have the pinion gear shimmed,there is a jig that is designed to allow measurement of play in the shaft ,if you have a local omc dealer,perhaps he will do it for you,i have read a bit about guys that are mechanical and made jigs,lets cross that bridge when it comes time,

trddunn

Cadet

Hey Mikesea,

I have a chance to buy a complete motor w a bad power head. I want to use the LU but dont know if it will fit. The guy sent a pic of the motor and it sure does look like my lu. It is a 1974 50 hp johnson model #50ESL74M. Its a ways away and want to make sure before I make the trip. Any info would be great. Thanks-Jason-