why this happening???

pwfish1

Seaman
17ft cc starcraft. trying to wire the bow and stern light. for a test i put straight wires right to busbar pos and neg and both lights work fine.

i have on/off/on switch, put +12 to 2 center posts, bow and stern to up position and stern to down position. no lights work. tested middle and have power. i think i have no ground when switch is wired.

how do i get ground to switch? can i run wire from neg busbar to switch?
use what position, up or down?

thank you

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: why this happening???

Usually the ground goes direct to the harness and the switch only controls +12VDC, I would check your ground to the lights or add one to the bus bar from each light. My bow and stern lights are wired the same as yours...up for running lights, down for anchor.

pwfish1

Seaman

chuck thank you.

can you explain where the diode wires in???

thank you
paul

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You put ground on a switch under one condition only -- that is if the switch has an internal light. Otherwise, in boat electrics, ground does not belong on a switch. The ground wire from the lights goes to the negative terminal of the battery or to the ground bus on the fuse panel. Whether you need a diode or not depends on the type of switch you have. The switch in the first diagram below does not need it. The switch in the second diagram does. The diode is simply connected to the switch terminals as shown.

NavSwitchWiring.jpg

Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

pwfish1

Seaman

I have the switch in the first pic, so no diode needed. I already tried it just taping ends and lightd came on, so i'm good to go.

One thing, making a jumper with the flat connects seems tight. Do i get larger gauge so both wires fit in? or is there different connector?

thanks all

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Whatever configuration works. There are several sizes of spade connectors.