won't go into gear - fixed

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had another post going here on soaking carbs. I got them rebuilt with all new fuel line, and installed a water pump kit yesterday.

The donor boat I have the motor on still has bad cables. I'm assuming the shift cable is broke from someone trying to force the lower unit into gear. When I took the foot off I could not move the shift rod up or down. I took a hammer and tapped lightly on it and there was no movement. For now, I just reinstalled the foot to fire the motor and let it run a bit, but I'm guessing I have to go back in there and unstick/rebuild the gear case.

Anyone have ideas on where to start with the frozen shift rod? Oh, this is on a 1985 120hp, it has the big gear case. I should also say I've tried turning the shaft while pressing up and down on the rod and nothing happens, just stuck.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: won't go into gear

you might start by looking at the linkages up to the shift shaft,be sure the move freely,sometimes the motor mounts begin to wear ,that forces the shiftshaft to bing in the steering arm,after removing the shiftshaft connecting pin under the bottom carb,you MAY be lucky enough to move the shiftshaft where it comes out under the cowling ir down where it enters the lowerunit,but that is often tough to work in those areas,a needle nosed vise grip helps,otherwisw remove the lowerunit at that point and test the shifting while unit is off motor,if it operates ok,your problem is the motor mmounts,which are located behind the plates on lower end of the midsection,hopefully the lowers changed will correct the problem,because the top mounts are under powerhead,go 1 step at a time,

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You do realize someone should be turning the prop manually or the engine should be running while you are trying to move the shift shaft. If not, the clutch dogs may not be in alignment and you simply can't get it in gear. Thats how cables and linkage get broken. People simply don't realize gears and clutch dogs can't mesh if the tips of the teeth are pointed directly at each other.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

With cable disconnected. grab mechanical portion and while turning prop, attempt to shift. If it doesn't shift, go ahead and drop the lower again.
Try Not using a hammer on movable parts. All that does is increase alignment issues.
Place upward pressure on the shift rod and spin the prop. try downward pressure.
Drain fluid and fill with PB Blaster(from gallon can) Soak for 24hrs and drain. Attempt pressure shifting again.
Still stick? Time to tear down and inspect everything.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ended up pumping it full of WD40 instead. I have the foot off again and this afternoon it will have been sitting for 24 hours. I've already tried moving it up and down again and it's not budging at all. I have a manual that describes tear down and such, but I don't want to tear it down unless I know what to look for.

What would be causing this thing to be stuck in neutral and no vertical movement of the shift rod? I would like a direction to head before I just tear it apart not knowing what to look for.

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I GOT IT FREE!

Here's how I unstuck the shift rod after the outboard sat up a long time. I followed another poster's advice on filling the lower unit with a penetrant oil - WD 40 in my case. I let it sit for almost 24 hours.

Then I removed lower unit and placed it in a vice with a rag to keep from scraping up the aluminum. You'll have to get creative with pieces of wood to shim the skeg and other places that aren't supported. This is important or the thing will walk all around on you while you try to free the shift rod.

This next step will require another set of hands. With lower unit secured firmly in vice, rotate the drive shaft clockwise while someone lightly taps the shift rod down with a hammer (note: mine was stuck in neutral, so tapping down effectively engaged forward gear). If it engages you will notice the prop turning since you're supposed to be spinning the drive shaft. Then I moved it through all the gears several times while spinning the drive shaft. It now moves freely.

Now I need to reseal the lower unit since it had water in the case.