Shopping for a larger boat...

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if this should be in the trailer section or boat section. It pertains to both so I figured it could go either way and this section gets more traffic. If it needs moved, then I'm sorry.

So I'll soon be in the market for a larger boat. The wife wants something capable of sleeping on for a night or two at a time. Something with a cabin, head, and maybe a bit of a galley, if possible. So I'm looking at cruisers. Here's my question, in PA, max with is 8'6". Does that mean anything with a beam larger than that would need special permits and commercial license to trailer? Looked at a Bayliner with a 9'6" beam. But it does me no good if I can't haul it home and then haul it to the water. I need to figure out what models I can and can not look at.

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: Shopping for a larger boat...

I would suggest that you call PA DOT office and pose the question to them. That way, you get the answer and a reference to the DOT regulation straight form the horses mouth...

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Been down that road. Problem is, they can quote the same rules I already know. So they'll just tell me the max width of 8'6". If I ask about beams, I'll get blank silence. I was really hoping to hear from folks who have been through it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I can understand that. I do not have a boat that wide, so I am not actually sure of the correct answer. I do know that I see alot of the 10' beam offshore race boats come through GA, and they are not displaying wide load banners, so I assume they do not have permits... Hopefully some others will chime in....

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I do know a guy that owns a 34' Venture Center Console Open. I just looked and the spec on that boat is a 10' Beam. I know he trailers it form GA to Ft. Lauderdale once a year for his annual trip to Bimini Island. He does not get special permits for his trip. Is it legal? Don't know....

bdblazer1978

Cadet

Not sure if this helps or applies to PA, but I know in Ohio they have a Boating department for registration (DMV). It may be worth a call to see if they have a department or to your game and fish department. At least these departments would understand what you are talking about.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

The max trailer width of 8.5 feet is measured at the axle from the outside of one tire to the other. If the boat is wider than that, the boat is used for the measurement.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I bought the 26Ft Wellcraft aft cabin loaded with genset -HVAC-galley- much like you discribe thinking I could launch it and retrive it like my other boats ...but I was wrong.
Too big and a pain in the arse to do without an extra pair of experianced /sober hands.
wound up keeping her in a slip-lot less stress and more time to enjoy.

It is a lot of fun thou!!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I think that you will find in most places that if your boat is over 8.6 and under 12 foot (12 foot and over you need a pilot car?) you could be required to get a wide load permit, should not be a big deal, as our boat is 10 foot on the beam and all we have to do is the permit, daily/monthly and ensure we red flag in the daytime or light at night the widest part of the boat:)
rob