4 HP Johnson motor for a kicker

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

I got a 18 foot Sylvan aluminum boat, with a 90HP VRO V4. I have a chance to get a 95 Johnson 4 horse power to use as a kicker.

Does anyone with experience know if this will get me trolling along in deep water, even if its a little wavy out??

thanks

Shane

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 4 HP Johnson motor for a kicker

i think its too small,when you consider you weight any wind or current ,it will be too small,plus you will have to get it at wide open throttle to move ya,id use a 9.9

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea thats along the lines of what I was thinking...

Will I need a long shaft or a short shaft?

Heres a picture of how my boat came..

Attachments

• Resize.jpg
    Resize.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yea thats along the lines of what I was thinking...

Will I need a long shaft or a short shaft?

Heres a picture of how my boat came..

Short shaft if you are going to put it on that bracket. Actually it kind of looks like you should be able to put the motor on the transom. In fact it looks like it was at one time. I wonder why they installed the bracket?? Maybe there wasn't quite enough room. It would be better on the transom if there is enough room and the prop is below the boat bottom.

EDIT: Hm.m.m., looking at a bit more, with the bracket lowered, it looks like the kicker would be swamped. Maybe they put the bracket on to run in the up position with a long shaft motor??? Not exactly recommended. You better do some study and measuring before you buy a motor.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank YOU! That was my next question/concern....It looks like that silver peice of metal is there to hold a kicker motor.

I tried my grandfathers 15 on that black contraption, and it did not work out...

If I put it on the transom, will I still need the short shaft?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

why didnt the 15 work out?depending on yr.like 1974 up should be like a 9.9the black bracket on the boat does adjust ,right,alsp do you know that piece on the big engine is for stterin arm connection to kicker,idea of the adjustable kicker bracket is to allow for lifting ,reducing drag while running with big eng,
how bout a story,i live in fl. keys,had a 23 ft with a 235 ,9.9 kicker,well i broke down 22 miles offshore,it took almost 6 hrs for me to get home with kicker running wide open throttle,we have the gulfstream abd it runs fast,i was kucky to get home,from then on i swore id never run a small eng as kicker,also,many use the kicker for emergencies,when i was working as mech.you couldnt imagine the people that couldnt get the kicker running when the emergency hit,seems they forget about maintaing and running their insurance often.good luck

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mikesea, F R was bang on with why the 15 didn't work out... Even with that black hanger all the way up, the motor dragged when using the big motor, and when I put the 15 into the water( hooked up the steering, as the rod and brackett for the kicker came with the boat) the motor was swamped!!! The hood was in the water!

From your guys help, I think I should remove that black hanger( next conern is how to fill the 8 holes!) and hang my kicker on the transom.

And mikesea, your story is exactly why I am thinking of a 15 .... Get me home just in case. First time out on a calm lake Erie this spring .... Fish here then there... Open my big mouth"I am comfortable with my boat, know how she likes to start..". Boom, starter s toast... Thank god the motor was warm and I was able to get it going with a rope around the crank...

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I always kept my engine (kicker)tilted up.However ,the little stock for the tilt isnt made to hold the engone bouncing as you run,So I actually curt a piece of hardwood in a triangular shape and ran my kicker in up position,the wood block would fit above the stock locking assy.If you decide to plug the holes,get a piece of wood dowel in the round stock section of a lumberyard,you can use an epoxy and paint the wooden plugs up,be sure the dowels need to be tapped in,or I bet 3m 5200 wolud fill the holes just fine,I would use the 5200 and wood dowels and be done with it.5200 comes in small tubes or large for caulk guns

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just had another idea... Does anyone know whart manufacturer makes that black pad??

If I could just replace the pad with a longer one, it will keep the motor up out of the water more..

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

probably a 'Garelick Eez-In 'most places like west marine,boaters world carry them,yrs ago the used plywood.I cant see why if you take double 3/4 ply and screw and epoxy it .it will hold a house,Im not understanding your problem though,why wont it work as is/does it not fuction up and down properly?and Im assuming it is an adjustable,perhaps its not,I just cant c the problem

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

My transom is real low, the bracket works up and down no problem, the problem is that, when its at its highest point, it is too low... the hood of the motor is in the water..

Rick.

Captain

My transom is real low, the bracket works up and down no problem, the problem is that, when its at its highest point, it is too low... the hood of the motor is in the water..

So if that is the case no motor should work on the bracket. Or am I missing something? Rick.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

no you are right.

But I am now thinking if I follow Mikeseas suggetion, and just make my own mounting pad out of 2 pieces of 3/4 ply, I will make it 6-8 inches taller(longer) I can unbolt the black mounting pad, and bolt the wood one in its place and the motor will be up out of the water enough.

Shane

gazza2007au

Chief Petty Officer

looking at that picture if u have a kicker attached with the mount in the highest position and its still under water? im assuming the engine is under water in that case your whole back end of your boat would be swamped and also your main engine would also be under water? maybe the 90hp motor is to heavy for your boat? and if your boat does sit that low i would really hate to be out in your boat on a very rough day the water would be coming into the back of your boat you did mention the hood of the motor is under water so im thinking thats the canopy?

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You can see the water line under the bracket, just run the kicker on the bracket in the up position, the motor should stay above. If not just put in a piece of wood.

I have an OMC bracket with the tilt piston and a giant block of wood, they are better mounts IMO