• Poll closed .

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Well the battles on, what is the most prefered way to cook a hot dog:confused:
rob

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: hot dogs

Grilled over charcoal, and if it isn't black send it back.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

First lets maybe constrain the question to decent quality hot dogs.

Nathan's or Hebrew Nationals with natural casings. May be a local or regional in your area that is just as good. Those 2 are available nation wide.

Doesn't matter how you cook a cheap skinless hot dog it will taste like a cheap skinless hot dog.

That rant completed, I'll vote for grill or open flame. Campfire beats all just on the atmosphere.

Maybe a follow on poll. steamed bun or straight from the bag.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First lets maybe constrain the question to decent quality hot dogs.

AMEN to that!

Hormel Beef Wrangler
Hebrew National Beef

Are definitely decent quality. Flame broiling brings out the best of both.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Gotta have good quality dogs. Stick and fire first then BB Q grill. If neither available, put under broiler until both sides start to turn, then add a little sauce of your choice and cover with extra sharp chedar then back under the broiler until the cheese is melted.

i386

Captain

I like Bryan hotdogs and whatever the local hotdog joint sells. I don't wan to know what th sey are because that might spoil it.:)

Mustard
Mustard & Sauerkraut
Chili, Mustard, Ketchup & Onions (The ONLY time ketchup ever belongs on a hotdog if you're over 8 years old)
Brunswick Stew (yes, on a hotdog!)

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Good old natural casing dog here I like the snap when they are done. I don't like the packaged skinless stuff.........

My favorites
Muckies
Blue Seals
Martin Rosoles all 3 of these also make killer kielbasa too....

scipper77

Commander

Around here we have Zwiegels hot dogs. These things put all other dogs to shame. Any one else ever had them?

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

I like grilling / BBQ, but I have never really liked anything burnt. I order steaks medium rare to medium, same with burgers. I just warm the hot dogs up, I don't like that black crunchy burnt part. As far as types of hot dogs, Ball Park Plumpers (with cheese in the middle), Nathan's, Hebrew National, or Oscar Mayer (that's what I named my dachshund). If available, steamed buns are hands down the best.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Warmed in a beer bath (not boiled) then "seared" over charcoal or BBQ. Fresh cut diced onions, spicey brown mustard then added.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Warmed in a beer bath (not boiled) then "seared" over charcoal or BBQ. Fresh cut diced onions, spicey brown mustard then added.

Alright, Now I'm hungry.
But I pulled some T-bones out to grill.:eek:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i put em on my kmart hot dog roller, that is 4 years old now. it works great. thats when we are not around the grill.....then ill bbq just about everything edible :eek::D gotta have spicy brown mustard, onions, relish, and celery salt though.....yummy:cool:

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

I prefer hot links over the grill.

However, for a general all beef frank I like to boil them in beer or water while steaming the buns in a strainer over the pot.

Summer Fun

Banned

Hoffmans dogs with chili on it.
drool.gif

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Stick and fire.....but.....
Has anyone ever cooked bacon on a stick over the fire ??????
Our families all time favorite for those nights around the fire. Trouble is we end up with nothing for breakfast if we are not careful !!!

scipper77

Commander

Stick and fire.....but.....
Has anyone ever cooked bacon on a stick over the fire ??????
Our families all time favorite for those nights around the fire. Trouble is we end up with nothing for breakfast if we are not careful !!!

It's much easier to get bacon on the stick in Canada. Do you call the bacon in strips "American Bacon"?

(For those who don't live in or near Canada, Canadian bacon is like little ham steaks around 3 inches in diameter)