OMC Spitfire ignition conversion

karlrosa

Recruit
Hi,

i have a problem with my OMC King Cobra Spiftire ignition. The are no spare parts at the market more. The boat is Chris Craft Crowne 1991 with 454 Engine. I am looking fore conversion kit and some companys told me i need additional to the new distributor and coil an electronic box (about USD 400,00) and dome companys told me i need only the distributor and coil.
Is somewhere here in the forum ho made this conversion or know where is a conversion available?
Thaks for help.
Karl

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: OMC Spitfire ignition conversion

Easiest would be to call Performance Distributors and get a DUI distributor, it will require some different ignition wires but the coil and module are contained in the distributor. They can tell you how to hook up the shift interrupt module to the new distributor. Another option is to find a earlier year boat with a 305 or 350 Chevrolet engine (or a 454 without the spitfire crap, the others will be easier to find though) and take all the ignition components from that, think OMC still used points then on those engines. Distributors interchange on small and big block Chevrolets.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

easiest method will be to convert it to delco EST. not only has it been used by many marinizers parts are readily avalible,its simple and can be wired for shift interupt if nessasary.
the spitfire set up worked well but we cannot find parts in this area either.and they are getting a tad on the old side now.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Your other choice might be Merc Thunderbolt IV/V, Mallory or MSD too. etc.​

You'll probably need to get a knock sensor if the Splatfire one isn't compatible...​

I would avoid points ignition since you won't have a knock sensor and might have to run slightly retarded , which may mean less HP.​

karlrosa

Recruit

thanks guys, I am done with the work. I used Mallory ignition and everything is working good, incl. shift interruption.