starting fluid (ether)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: starting fluid (ether)

Don't !!!!!!
End of story.
If you need it to get started then you need to find the real issue and fix it.
2 stroke mix in a spray bottle should be all you need.
Just my 2 cents !!!

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Starting fluid was designed for starting Diesel motors and is good for nothing else.

It offers 0 lubrication and High detonation which will eventually damage any gas motor.

parrisw

Ensign

Starting fluid was designed for starting Diesel motors and is good for nothing else.

It offers 0 lubrication and High detonation which will eventually damage any gas motor.

It was????????? using it on a Diesel is a big no no as well!!!!!!!!!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer

It was????????? using it on a Diesel is a big no no as well!!!!!!!!!

Using it on some diesels is a big no no that's true. Certain (maybe all) air cooled industrial engines come to mind. Deutz, Onan generators, things like that. But for the old Detroit 6-71, 6-92, 8-71 and old Cummins diesels it's perfectly fine. Diesels in late model trucks & stuff might well be a different story.

Cheers..................Todd

daselbee

Commander

Ether starting fluid will melt and craze the plastic venturi bodies of the plastic carbs. I know, I did it, and I will never do it again.

parrisw

Ensign

Using it on some diesels is a big no no that's true. Certain (maybe all) air cooled industrial engines come to mind. Deutz, Onan generators, things like that. But for the old Detroit 6-71, 6-92, 8-71 and old Cummins diesels it's perfectly fine. Diesels in late model trucks & stuff might well be a different story.

Cheers..................Todd

Maybe, but I wouldn't use it in any diesel, have you every heard them knock from it!!!!! Sounds terrible.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Some john deere tractors came from the factory with either kits for cold start, push a button in the cab and a solenoid would open and inject either directly into the intake. And yes they would rattle.