how much tounge of trailer is needed

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice
Just got a new 1982 18ft Starcraft CC. Came with a trailer with the roller bunks. I also have a Easy Load trailer I was pulling my 16 Ft bowrider with. My trailer is in in better shape then the one with boat. Just put in new axel and buddy bearing before transom cracked on my old boat. I was planning on putting 10ft bunks on my trailer but its about a ft shorter then the one with boat. My question is, is there a recommended amount of trailer that should entend beyond the verticle bow stop.
Thanks, theres a great amount of info on this site from some knowledgable problem solvers. I've spent hours looking at site.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: how much tounge of trailer is needed

Just got a new 1982 18ft Starcraft CC. Came with a trailer with the roller bunks. I also have a Easy Load trailer I was pulling my 16 Ft bowrider with. My trailer is in in better shape then the one with boat. Just put in new axel and buddy bearing before transom cracked on my old boat. I was planning on putting 10ft bunks on my trailer but its about a ft shorter then the one with boat. My question is, is there a recommended amount of trailer that should entend beyond the verticle bow stop.
Thanks, theres a great amount of info on this site from some knowledgable problem solvers. I've spent hours looking at site.

Looks like the main issue is weight and not necessarlly length. You want to put a 18 foot boat on a 16 foot trailer so I have some questions:
1) What is the weight difference between the two boats
2) Are both boats I/O or out boards
If the 18 foot will extend off the back of the trailer this will probably not work because the touge weight will be reduced to much and swaying will start. Need a buch more info before a suggestion can be offered.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

16 foot was fiberglass, new(1982) 18 ft is Starcraft Aluminum CC. When I took 16 footer to landfill was weighed in at 1000 lbs. I think 18 is about same. rear easy load wheels are about 12 inches off back of trailer and I was going to set up bunks same distance.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Not acceptable. Whether using bunks or rollers, the last rollers or the ends of the bunks MUST extend directly unde the transom. You have the weight of the engine hanging on the transom, the fuel tanks and batteries are back there and therefore not supported if the rollers or bunks are a foot ahead of the transom.

18Starcraft

Seaman Apprentice

I guess I'm not correctly describing my trailer. the back set of rollers are about 24 inches apart (in line from front to back) and they sit on a bracket that is centered. There are 2 sets of them, right & left. the front set of rollers are about 12 in front of the rear trailer brace and the back set of rollers extend about 12 in past the end of the rear brace. When set up the boat the transom sits on the rear rollers. I plan on setting up the bunks the same distance from the rear bracket. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. I understand the transom has to sit on the rear rollers that is the reason I am going to bunks for better support of a alumimum boat

Knightgang

Lieutenant

If you leave the setup like that and not extend the support to the transom (rollers) or to the transom or slightly beyond (bunks) then over time, the transom will sag and the bottom of the hull will start to cup.

Now, as for your question. The tounge length form bow stop will depend on a few variables.

Tounge weight
Hitch Standoff
Maneuverability

If you can move the boat forward enough on the trailer to set the bunks correctly (make the bunks longer and ensure proper tounge weight) then as long as you have the turning ability without the boat hitting the tow vehicle then you are golden... There is no set length...

hazmat5760

Seaman

If you leave the setup like that and not extend the support to the transom (rollers) or to the transom or slightly beyond (bunks) then over time, the transom will sag and the bottom of the hull will start to cup.

Unless I'm reading his post wrong, his rollers are already supporting the transom, and he plans to make the bunks sit the same way.

ftl900

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It should be just long enough to connect to the truck, and no longer. :D

Knightgang

Lieutenant

Unless I'm reading his post wrong, his rollers are already supporting the transom, and he plans to make the bunks sit the same way.

Maybe I read it wrong. I understood that the bunk or rollers were going to have to stop about 1 foot before the transom to get the boat on the trailer. Just wanted to make sure he understood the transom had to be supported.

If I read wrong, my mistake...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I guess I'm not correctly describing my trailer. the back set of rollers are about 24 inches apart (in line from front to back) and they sit on a bracket that is centered. There are 2 sets of them, right & left. the front set of rollers are about 12 in front of the rear trailer brace and the back set of rollers extend about 12 in past the end of the rear brace. When set up the boat the transom sits on the rear rollers. I plan on setting up the bunks the same distance from the rear bracket. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. I understand the transom has to sit on the rear rollers that is the reason I am going to bunks for better support of a alumimum boat

you will not get near the same support in your bunk set up as you do from your roller set up.... the structural strength of that bracket holding the roller gives way more support than a cantilevered BUNK..which could be a 2x6 with a laminate for easy sliding ( i am guessing).... the end of the bunk will sag

the greatest support from your bunk is right when it leaves the up right brace and it goes down hill the further it gets away from that up right support..

the roller set up has equal support at both ends of the pivoting bracket!!!!

and all the weight of the boat on the forward rollers give you the support out at the back roller under your transom.

the strength is in the design and ridgidity of the swivel bracket( probably 2x2 thick walled tubing in an upwards arc!!

trailers with swivel rollers brackets can get away with over hanging the frame..but bunks can so easily...

bow if your bunk boards...say a 2x6 was mounted VERTICALLY.. the bunks would have a BUNCH more strength...but i rarely see them mounted like that

I am trying to figure a trailer set up, myself

I thought your question might have been the same.

bob