Need help with springs/update

f_inscreenname

Commander
I have a shoreline trailer,single axel with a 19' boat with a smallblock and outdrive The old 4 leaf springs with it loaded,the axel would be about a 1/4 inch from the frame. Any bumps and it hit the frame.I replaced them with 5 leaf springs and now the axel sets right on the frame. I didnt think the boat was the heavey??????? Is there such things as helper springs for trailers? I cant realy take them back. They are the only set I have the old ones fell apart when I sawed the front bolt off.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Need help with springs/update

Howdy.<br /><br />I have a Gal. Shoreline 17-19 roller trailer that I took my BW Outrage off of. The Outrage weighs about 2000lb full. I had to put new springs on it to get it home from FL, where I bought it used. The place I got the springs offered me springs with capacity from about 950lb (each) to nearly 2000lb each. I bought 3-leaf springs with about 1500 each and they worked fine.<br /><br />You may need to go to a tandem axle, 4000lb capacity trailer. I have one of those, too, but it needs major work to be usable. It had an 18' inboard boat on it and worked okay but was terribly neglected. I can restore it if you want it.<br /><br />I don't know where you are, but if you are interested in either of these trailers to buy or trade for, Email me.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right on the edge of over loding a single axle trailer, usually 3500#. If you start adding heavy springs then you have to be concerned with the spring mounting points being strong enough. The channel can start to collapse. It's a slippery slope your on. As said above you might start thinking a tandem axle trailer. I hope you have brakes on the one you have. Also check the load rating on your tires, should be a least 'D'. Usually 1/2 the rating of the trailer per tire. Hope this helps...sounds like your running a little heavy. ;)

f_inscreenname

Commander

Come to find out the springs were only rated for a thousand pounds each. Went back to the store and checked some numbers and came up with springs rated 1850 lbs each (what came on the trailer). Sits just right now cant wait to give it a pull.