adding breaks to an ezload??

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
how would one go about adding breaks to an ezlaod trailer.. my boat and trailer combo is only 2000lbs. but still extra breaking would be nice. What would be the best? I don't remember the names of the different kinds but those one that only work when you slam on the breaks? or would an electric break system work well? <br /><br />I primarly launch in salt water... but I also take excellent care of everythign and rinse everythign off with freshwater as best as possible.... so any and all ideas are appreciated.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: adding breaks to an ezload??

Lepper<br />Well first you need to decide if you want Electric or Hydrolic Surge?<br />If like the hydrolic Surge then must decide if want drum or stainless steel disc. My EZ Loader came with Hydrolic surge Drums breaks but the drums got so rusty worn breaks and also water got in master cylinder so I replace the whole system with hydrolic surge Disc form Tie Down. Cost a couple of years ago was about $400. The price included everything, Master cylinder, Stainless steel break lined Brake backing plates, Disc calipers, Stainless steal disc and a new hub with bearings. Took all day to install. The hardest part was running Stainless steel brake lines to the axel. If your axel does not have the four holes for the backing plate to bolt then also have to replace axel also. My trailer is a 22 foot for 3000 lb boat. Check out this site these people are great. Have a free catalog and answer all the questions before I ordered. One thing I liked about them is when I was ready to order guy told me new better disc brake coming out an unless it was an emergency would be better if I waited two month. He had old disc breaks in stock and told me of a few problems they had then he gave me the number of the factory support to call and here exactly what problems they had and what they did to fix problem and when they would be shipping. He told me how they fixed problem and that they were being tested by Fish and Game on trailers that go as many miles as our cars every day. The Site is.<br /> www.championtrailers.com<br />Call them and ask what they recommend. 800-229-6690

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the reply. any ideas how salt water would deal with the surge breaks?? <br />dave

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Lepper.<br /><br />Any brakes, even stainless steel disks, must be thoroughly flushed with fresh water after exposure to salt. Champion will offer you special fresh water flush kits along with brake kits.<br /><br />Good luck. :)