2000 Evinrude 50HP ECM Computer Bad.

ajohnson035

Cadet
I have a 2000 50HP Evinrude the check engine light comes on. I took it to a marine mechanic who hooked it up to the diagnostic computer and it gave really screwed up numbers on the printout as far as engine data. They said I would need a new ECM computer which is 1,000-1,300 dollars. The motor runs great and idles great. They indicated this would come from a loose ground somewhere either on the battery or engine. They said it would fry the computer on that particular year model. However the new ones out now you cannot fry supposedly. However the new computers will not work on my engine. My question is should I repair this or just keep running it and go on. I don't want to get stranded but I will not be going out in the ocean at all just local lakes and rivers. It would also be helpful if you know anyone who can rebuild the computer. Thanks

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2000 Evinrude 50HP ECM Computer Bad.

The experts around here are going to need a little more info than what you've provided. Model number perhaps? 2 stroke? 4 stroke? Sounds like you could have an EvinZuki but I'm not going to hazard a guess....