gasket

dbocha01

Cadet
Rebuilding a Mercruiser I , 150 HP, 1966-67 (?) sn2020415

Do I need a gasket between the upper and lower units of the sterndrive?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: gasket

There is no gasket between the upper and lower. BUT there is a "quad ring" - it is like an o-ring that seals the oil passage between the two halves.

dbocha01

Cadet

where is the quad ring then, i didnt think oil went between the two halves of this model.....I have an oil fill and vent plug on top half and bottom half

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking from the rear it is on the right side about even with the water pump in a little 3/8" or so wide grove cut into the lower unit top housing.

There is an oil lube passage from the top to the bottom units --- this little ring seals the passage.

OFM

-----------------------------------------------------------
If the boat is not sinking or on fire, Relax :D

dbocha01

Cadet

I didnt see this oil passage....will it hurt anything if I cat a gasket and put it between the two halves?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You don't need to cut any gaskets - BUT YOU DO NEED THE QUAD RING. There really is an oil passage there. I will try to find and post a picture.

Apollo75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great job JustJason :D

I learned something today :)

OFM

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,... Leave it to the Kid to know about the Antique drive's peculiarities,....

That was just useless fact #21557824 that was floating in my brain when I stumbled upon this thread.
You think i'm a nerd now... you should see me yell at the tv when i'm watchig Jeopardy.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

You don't need to cut any gaskets - BUT YOU DO NEED THE QUAD RING. There really is an oil passage there. I will try to find and post a picture.

Oops! Well, I didn't read the link that Jason shows yet, but I guess I need to go back and do some more reading myself! :redface:

dbocha01

Cadet

Thanks Jason....there def is not an oil passage...I inspected it last night closely, after wire brushing and scraping with a razor, no hole. Ok so no gasket between the two halves then. Thanks guys