steering system

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is there a max HP rating or rule of thumb for a transom mount steering cable system?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: steering system

IMHO - The cable and pulley systems are OK up to about 70HP or so. A single cable rotary or rack and pinon are OK for 150HP on a performance boat or 200HP on a standard boat. Above that you probably want a dual cable, but a lot depends on the boat. My 19 SeaRay bowrider had a 205HP V6 and a single rack and pinon system. It was fine.

tbird175

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think that I may have mistated my question. The current system is a rotary system. The steering cable is mounted to a pedestal on the transom with a ball and socket that fixes the cable housing. The cable attaches to the arm on the outboard, it does not go through the tube. I bought the boat without a motor. I want to install a 175 HP engine and am not sure if this system will be safe with this size engine.

Willyclay

Captain

I think most 175HP motors will be modern enough to have a tilt tube designed to accept the industry standard mechanical cables. Additionally, I would personally feel much safer with that arrangement over the transom-mounted post&clamp. If you don't already have a No Feed Back (NFB) helm, you might consider that upgrade before you bolt-on that 175. Below is a link to Teleflex's online library where you can download/read instruction manuals covering their products. It may help you with your decisions. Good luck!

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/library.cgi?site=steering&type=us&library=1018

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have seen the setup you have now on motors of 150HP. A lot depends on the strength of the splashwell. However, I would convert to the thru tilt tube mounting, if you can.