I need some help selecting a rod and reel combo

Big Frog

Cadet
I've got lots of fishing gear, just not what I need for a trip I have planned.

In October, I'm going to Flamingo, Florida to fish the flats. Hopefully some agreeable bonefish, tarpon, and reds are hungry and want some activity.

I'm looking at the combinations that Cabelas offer on this page: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true&_requestid=10881

I am leaning toward the ISS764 7'-6" rod with the SS-50 reel. I figure I will be using 12 to 15 lb line.

Any suggestions? Am I making a good choice, or should I look at something else?

John

Ryanhdd

Cadet
Re: I need some help selecting a rod and reel combo

I really like my Shimano Baitrunner 3500 i have it with a st. croix tidemaster(Tis70MHF) rod. I really like both a whole lot. Just my opinion though. I got the reel for 88 bucks shipped, (i believe they might still have them) its a steal for 88 shipped. The rod was a little pricey, 139.00 at dicks.

Baitrunner is a classic and well worth the money.

paulburgoon

Cadet

I dont know what your looking to spend but if you plan on casting majority of the time, I would recommend something light. All st. croix's are light and are amazing rods. i would look in the 7' lenght medium action depending on how big of tarpon your targeting. this weight class will be perfect for reds, snook, and sea trout, even smaller tarpon. As for reel i would look at shimano stradics, or even the new symathry, good reels. that combo should be perfect for inshore.

Les Robb

Chief Petty Officer

For me it's got to be a hands on experience. Reels are one thing but I have to know how the rod feels in my hands before I can buy. In your case, you will need a tip with a little firmness without loosing your castability, and for tarpon it will have to have some backbone.

Let us know how your trip went

ReelPlumber

Seaman

Hey Big Frog, how did your trip go? Any pics?

What rod/reel combo did you end up with?

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had great success with Pflueger. They are durable and have great drags. My 7' MH trout rod & reel can handle all the trout, flounder, and reds you want. Not-to-mention the occassional 10 to 15lb. class stripers & drum.