Which Motor Would you Choose?

OCSportsman

Seaman
I have been keeping an eye on a '74 Starcraft with a '78 70HP Evenrude, that supposedly has been completly gone through. I have also been watching a mid 80's 85 HP Force to swap out the 70HP for. Would this be a wise switch, or is the Evenrude a more dependable motor? I know nothing about Force motors are they a good motor or a "You get what you pay for".

Thanks,
OCS

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Which Motor Would you Choose?

Personally i like the JohnnyRudes but then you get into the "choose the one thats been best mantained, serviced, blah blah blah" discussion :rolleyes:

jbjennings

Captain

I hear lots and lots of good things about the OMC 70hp motors, and not much of anything except bad about FORCE motors. FORCE motors also don't have parts support for many parts anymore. I've NEVER heard of anyone wanting to repower with a force. Your resale value would be nil with a Force motor on your boat.
JMO,
JBJ

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^Word. I would rather have a 35 year old JohnnyRude than a 10 year old Force. Also from what I've heard, Forces typically did not compare well to other motors in any given horsepower.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

Run away from the Force screaming with your head on fire. A well maintained 70hp looper will serve you long and well.

OCSportsman

Seaman

Thanks Guys!

After I posted this I did a search, and lets just say I didn't find too many that like the Force, in fact the only person I read was a Force guy actually recommended another brand. Doesn't say much for their product.

So the mid to late 70's Evenrudes and Johnsons are good years?

I found a 1969 115hp for $700 that needs Carb work, what do you think?
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1390482758.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

JohnnyRudes from '78 to present are best. From '73-'77 they are also good but some design changes were made in '78 that carried on for many many years making parts availability optimal for those "newer" models. Prior to '73 you're looking at electric shift models which have some potentially crucial parts no longer available.