Anyone towing with 2002 Explorer??

Was looking into a 2002 Explorer with the new rear suspension. Anyone using this vehicle now? If so, do you have the 6 or V8??<br />Thanks

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Anyone towing with 2002 Explorer??

I've been waiting to test drive a new v8 model for a while now, but the v8 Explorers are such hot property here in NZ that the dealers always have them sold before they land in the country.<br /><br />I have a 2000 v6 model which is a great tow vehicle for my 3,000 lb boat & trailer. I expect from what I've seen of the 2002 models, that they are even better (especially the v8).<br /><br />Are you concerned about the suspension?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Minnow.<br /><br />Trailer Boats Magazine tested the V8 Explorer AWD with the 5 speed auto and called it their tow vehicle of the year.<br /><br />So far no dealer has been able to give me one equipped like that to try out. Several dealers have told me that the V8 is not available with the 5 speed auto.<br /><br />Meanwhile I love my ML 320 and would be unlikely to change anyway. :)

D

DJ

Minnow,<br /><br />The 5 speed auto. is standard with the 4.6L V-8. The order codes are: 99W (4.6L) and 44V (5-speed auto.)<br />The 5 speed is not a new trans. It is the same basic (with mods.) used behind the the 4.0L SOHC V-6 for several years.<br /><br />The independent rear axle makes a world of difference in ride. The new Expedition and Navigator (along with the upcoming Lincoln Aviator) now also have the independent rear<br /><br />The trailer tow pkg. code is: 53G. That includes a 3.73 rear axle ratio w/limited slip.

Hi Guys, I've heard the ride is much nicer, and I have a 2000 explorer leased now. But it has the 6 cyl 160 hp motor in it. It does okay with my boat (18 ft 180 searay) but since I have to buy a new vehicle, and I really like the explorer I have, was wondering since they changed the rear suspension if the rear end sags at all with the load on it?? We have the V8 available hear in Wisconsin, but the dealer said that since my boat weighs in at about 2800 lbs, the standard 210 hp 6 cyl would handle it just fine. I don't believe I will ever go with a bigger boat. The mileage for the 6 cyl is 15 city 20, and the V8 is 14 city 19, so should I go with the V8 anyway??<br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Minnow,<br /><br />The SOHC V-6 (205 hp.) will do just fine with 2800 pounds. It also has the 5-speed auto.<br /><br />Rear sag is not an issue.

D

DJ

Another thought. If you go with the V-8, you will have better resale.<br /><br />Also, if you are worried about rear sag, you can opt for the automatic load leveling system.<br /><br />Just because the rear is independent doesn't mean it is prone to sag.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree with DJohns, the v8 (certainly here in NZ) will have the best resale prospects of any vehicle I can think of (once they come onto the 2nd hand market that is) - mind you overall, Explorers are good in that respect anyway. <br /><br />I have the load levelling option on my current model and I strongly recommend it. It works very well - the back end NEVER sags, no matter how much load you put on it (don't go overboard though!).