trailer length

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
My 15-foot fiberglass fish/ski overhangs the back roller on the trailer by about 5.5 inches. Everything I read says it shouldn't. Trailer tows nicely now and I have rigged up a rear extension so I can use an engine support bar for going down the highway. I can move the bow tower forward 5.5 inches, but it looks like doing so will crowd the tongue. Is there a rule of thumb for how long the tongue should be from ball receptacle to the bow tower? The tongue weight now is just right and the boat seems nicely balanced on the trailer as it is. Any advice from the more experienced?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trailer length

Howdy, Tim.<br />Ideally, your transom should have support under it. Also, your tongue should have 7% to 10% of the total towed weight.<br /><br />If you want it exactly right, move your winch stand and boat forward until you have support under the transom, then move the undercarriage forward enough to get the correct tongue weight.<br /><br />If your ball is 12" in front of the winch you should be okay.<br /><br />Now, all that said, I doubt that 5.5" is going to make a big difference., particularly if you have bunks that reach back to the transom.<br /><br />Good luck. :)